LGB02 Vimeiro (21 August 1808)
La Grande Battles
Four days after Wellesley’s initial clash at Rolica, General Jean-Andoche Junot, with an army of 14,000, attacked the Anglo-Portuguese army of 17,000 troops. Junot wanted to defeat the invaders before reinforcements could arrive by sea. The battle of Vimeiro began with three brigades of French advancing to take Vimeiro hill and the town, while a fourth brigade had swung right to turn the British left flank.
Unfortunately for Junot, his frontal attacks were uncoordinated, and failed to pin the British troops in the center. Wellesley was able to redeploy his army to face the threat on his left. The French column attacks in the center were finally forced back by sustained British volleys and soon afterwards the flank attack was also beaten back.
Covered by his cavalry, Junot retreated towards Torres Vedras and the British did not pursue.
Following the battle, the British senior commanders Generals Dalrymple and Burrard worked out a deal allowing Junot’s army to leave for France on British ships, taking all their guns and equipment. This deal, not surprisingly, caused a massive outcry in Britain.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Wellesley
• 6 Command Cards
British Corps Commanders
Command R2 C4 L4
Tactician R3 C3 L2
• Commander: Junot
• 5 Command Cards
• Move First
French Corps Commanders
Command L2 C2 R3
Tactician L2 C2 R2
• The French gain 2 Temporary Victory Banners at the start of the turn for each town hex of Vimeiro occupied.
• The Allies gain 2 Temporary Victory Banners at the start of the turn, if the French do not occupy any town hexes of Vimeiro. The Allies start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The town hex of Ventosa is a Temporary Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the side that occupies it at the start of the turn.
• The French gain 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for occupying the Vimeiro bridge across the stream.
• The two town hexes of Mariquiteira and Praganza form a Temporary Group Victory Banner worth 1 banner for the side that occupies both town hexes at the start of the turn.
• The Maceiro River is impassable except at the fords.
• The entire Toledo brook is fordable. In addition, the shallow fords do not stop movement.