203 Pultusk (26 December 1806)
Pultusk - 26 December 1806
Marshal Bennigsen disobeyed his orders and halted his retreat to give battle. He drew his divisions up in three lines between Pultusk and the Mostachin Woods. Lannes and his V Corps had orders from Napoleon to pursue and engage the Russians who were believed to be retreating. Unaware he was facing a much stronger Russian force, Lannes sent Claparede’s division forward against Pultusk, while Suchet moved against the Mostachin woods. Gazan drove the Russian cavalry force from Mosin Heights and good progress was being made on both flanks despite the weather and mud. A French foothold in Pultusk was short lived, as the Russian artillery superiority, soon forced the French back all along the line. The battle had turned against the French until the mid-afternoon arrival of a III Corps division. General d’Aultanne, on his own initiative, had marched to the sound of the guns and arrived on the endangered French left. The renewed French attack against the woods forced Barclay de Tolly to retire under pressure and Bennigsen ordered the Russian cavalry forward to stem the French advance. Dusk was falling and the battle died out. Both sides had suffered heavy losses. Lannes expected to renew the fighting the next day, but Bennigsen withdrew during the night.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Bennigsen
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 4 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Lannes
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The four Mostachin Woods hexes form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner Objective worth one banner to the side that occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French player gains one Temporary Victory Banner for each hill hex occupied on the ridge behind Mosin Heights at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French player gains one Temporary Victory Banner for each town hex occupied at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Bridge hex is a Permanent Victory Banner Objective worth one banner for the French player when occupied at the start of the turn (Permanent Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Narew River is impassable.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect.