316 Aspern-Essling - Day 1 Essling (21 May 1809)
Aspern-Essling - 21 May 1809 (Day 1 Essling)
In a series of uncoordinated attacks, the infantry of the Austrian fourth column could not take the granary, a massive bastion, and pulled back. D’Espagne’s French cavalry, returning from its unsuccessful attack against the guns of the Austrian third column, was ordered to reform and charged the Austrian fourth column as it retired. Again, the Austrian infantry reacted quickly and formed battalion masses, which prevented any French success. Austrian cavalry, then moved forward, and forced the French cavalry to withdraw. The fifth column, having the greatest distance to march, was now in position around 8:00 PM and launched its attack. Using both the granary and the Long Garden as key defensive positions, Lannes skillfully deployed and redeployed his outnumbered troops to these critical points to maintain control of the village against the Austrian pressure.
After this final attack of the day faltered, Rosenberg ordered his Austrians to retire and wait for the Grenadiers and the rest of the Austrian cavalry reserve to arrive.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Charles
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 3 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• Optional 6 Tactician Cards
• The 3 town hexes of Essling form a Temporary Group Majority Group Victory Banner Objective worth 2 banners to the side that occupies an absolute majority of the town hexes at the start of its turn (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Long Garden is a Temporary Victory Banner for the Austrian player worth one banner when occupied at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The two side by side town hexes represent the Granary. A Granary has all the effects of a town, in addition, a unit, on a Granary hex may ignore one flag.
One rule change I would propose is that ALL cards have the possibility to order ONE unit (anywhere), not only some of the special cards.