EPIC03 Eggmühl (22 April 1809) Day 2
On the morning of the 22 April, a thick fog covered the entire valley of the Grosse Laaber. When the fog cleared around 8:00 AM, Austrian General Rosenberg became concerned with the lack of movement by Davout’s troops. He assumed this meant that more French troops were on their way or had already arrived.
French reinforcements had indeed arrived, and Napoleon wasted no time joining his front line. Napoleon ordered Davout to attack the Austrian at Unterlaichling and the woods to the north, and his German troops to capture Eggmühl and the bridges crossing the Grosse Laaber. Davout’s troops under Friant and Hilaire succeeded in pushing the Austrians back, with support of the Bavarian cavalry. Unterlaichling was finally occupied, while the fight for the woods rolled back and forth. On the extreme French right, Gudin’s division attacked Bieber’s brigade and the Austrians were forced to fall back to the woods, where they managed to hold their ground and prevent the French from advancing any further.
Once Eggmühl was secure, French cavalry squadrons crossed the river. Austrian General Rosenberg, ordered what little cavalry he had on hand to counter the French cavalry.
Rosenberg had appealed to Charles earlier in the day for the Austrian Cuirassier Division, but his request was met with no response. In the meantime, Charles decided to withdraw and sent Rosenberg an order to pull back as best he could. About the same time, the French cavalry was now all across Grosse Laaber.
Although outnumbered, Rosenberg ordered his cavalry to charge to buy time for the infantry to withdraw.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Rosenberg
• 4 Command Cards
• 2 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• 6 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• Unterlaichling is a Temporary Victory Banner worth 1 banner for the side that occupies it at the start of its turn. The Austrians start with 1 Victory Banner.
• Oberlaichling is a Temporary Victory Banner for the French worth 2 banners when occupied at the start of the turn.
• Obersanding is a Permanent Victory Banner for the French worth 1 banner when occupied at the start of the turn.
• The 6 hexes that make up the Bettelberg Ridgeline, form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 1 banner for the Austrian or 2 banners for the French, when that side occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The Austrians start with 1 Victory Banner.
• The French gain 1 Permanent Breakthrough Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Austrian baseline hex. To exit the French unit must already occupy the Austrian baseline hex at the start of the turn.
Tags: Banners: 17, Army: Austrian, Army: French, Special Rule: Exit VB, Special Rule: Temporary VB (Turn Start), Special Rule: Temporary Majority VB (Turn Start), Special Rule: Permanent VB (Turn Start), Special Rule: Epic, Expansion 6