EPIC02 Vimeiro (21 August 1808)
Four days after Wellesley’s initial clash at Rolica, General Jean-Andoche Junot, with an army of 14,000, attacked the Anglo-Portuguese army of 17,000 troops. Junot wanted to defeat the invaders before reinforcements could arrive by sea. The battle of Vimeiro began with three brigades of French advancing to take Vimeiro hill and the town, while a fourth brigade had swung right to turn the British left flank. Unfortunately for Junot, his frontal attacks were uncoordinated, and failed to pin the British troops in the center. Wellesley was able to redeploy his army to face the threat on his left. The French column attacks in the center were finally forced back by sustained British volleys and soon afterwards the flank attack was also beaten back. Covered by his cavalry, Junot retreated towards Torres Vedras and the British did not pursue.
Following the battle, the British senior commanders Generals Dalrymple and Burrard worked out a deal allowing Junot’s army to leave for France on British ships, taking all their guns and equipment. This deal, not surprisingly, caused a massive outcry in Britain.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Wellesley
• 6 Command Cards
• 5 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Junot
• 5 Command Cards
• 3 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The French gain 2 Temporary Victory Banners at the start of the turn for each town hex of Vimeiro occupied.
• The British gain 2 Temporary Victory Banners at the start of the turn, if the French do not occupy any town hexes of Vimeiro. The British start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The town hex of Ventosa is a Temporary Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the side that occupies it at the start of the turn.
• The French gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for occupying the Vimeiro bridge across the stream.
• The Maceira River is impassable except at the fords.
• The entire Toledo brook is fordable. In addition, the shallow fords do not stop movement.
Comparative less units, and units/rules, which should be known from the basic game.
So you can concentrate you for the epic rules, and it´s still a lot to lookup (most the many combinations/rules with the TC´s).
We played each games in about 3-3,5 hrs, so this is reasonable as a 2-player epic game.