302 Günzburg (9 October 1805)

More
10 years 4 months ago #1247 by alecrespi

Alessandro - Website Admin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #5913 by White Knight
A Grande Maneuver by the Austrians within the first 5 turns or so makes this battle well nigh impossible to win for the French. Throwing infantry attacks across bridges in the face of enemy infantry occupying a town is suicidal!

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #8841 by Riclev
Difficult for the French to win indeed, but not well nigh impossible. I advanced over the Danube on the left and destroyed the Austria right flank for a 7-3 victory. Admittedly I am more experienced than my opponent and I had some reasonable cards. Moreover, two banners came from the death of D'Aspre and the capture of three bridges. The involvement of the French light cavalry was also helpful. I realise this doesn't help my argument, but I won the return game 7-0.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #10398 by miketodd
Austrians win 7-3. Despite some masterful strikes by French, they cannot take the central island and Austrian flanking maneuvers succeed.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #10962 by Pevans
Time for Evert and me to play the second Austrian scenario. I play the Austrians first, giving Evert the job of attacking with the French.
Evert started the French advancing across all three sections, but this quickly concentrated into a battle for the island. First to fall were the Austrian Light infantry - with their backs to the Danube, they had nowhere to retreat. General d'Aspre fell with his men (historically, he was captured), making the score 0:2 to Evert.
My Austrians responded in the centre, blowing away the lead French Line infantry - 1:2 - and occupying part of Günzburg.
The French Light cavalry stormed onto the island and eliminated the battered Austrian artillery there (1:3) before putting the Austrian Line holding the northern bridge into Battalion Mass.
Austrian guns forced the cavalry back, but the unit on the bridge fell to the shooting of the French Light infantry on the island. That's 1:4 already and the French are looking strong.
Attention then shifted to the French left as a Light infantry scampered across the bridge and occupied Reisenburg. They were kicked out by Austrian Line and Grenadiers and chased back across the river.
Both sides advanced and engaged in musketry across the river before Gen Gyulai led his Line infantry over the bridge to take out the damaged French Light - 2:4.
A "Bayonet Charge" from Evert saw Gen Delabasse and his Line into the ford on the left to take out the Austrian Grenadiers on the other side, while more Line advanced across the bridge on the right. I used a "Counter-attack" to respond in kind (though the Austrians don't charge as quickly as the French) and eliminated both advanced French Line units to take the score to 4:5 - that's better!
A "Force March" let me pursue the attack on the French left, eliminating the artillery and Line infantry (5:6), Gen Delabasse retreating to his last remaining unit.
A rash advance by Delabasse (along with Lefol's guys on the right) saw his single unit killed off by Gen Gyulai's three. That's 7:6 and a narrow win for the Austrians. And no banners for any of the geographic objectives.
That was a good fight: 26 turns in total in 90 minutes - the aids in the latest Vassal module are definitely speeding things up. Clearly the Austrians can give the French a run for their money, despite their handicaps (as far as Line infantry is concerned). But how will Evert do when the tables are turned?
I have also posted this report on my BGG blog (with pictures!): boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/159685

Pevans

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #10975 by Pevans
It's the re-match and my turn to play the French with Evert taking the Austrians.
With a bunch of left flank cards in hand, I moved General Delabasse's column forward, Evert responding with the two units on the Austrian right. When Delabasse approached the river, Evert unleashed "La Grande Manoeuvre" to add more troops to the Austrian side - and cover the bridge on the other side of the board.
Exchanges of gunfire followed on the left with the French almost killing the advanced Austrian Line infantry - a flag let it retreat safely behind Reisenburg.
First blood went to the French as the guns in the centre eliminated the Austrian Light infantry on the island. As the infantry had advanced, General d'Aspre was able to escape this time, joining a unit outside Günzburg. But it's 1:0 to me.
Evert pulled the Austrian artillery off the island into Günzburg as it began taking casualties from advancing French Line. With infantry already in Reisenburg and Leipheim (thanks to the Grande Manoeuvre), this would get him a banner for three town hexes to take the score to 1:1.
Then d'Aspre led his fresh infantry onto the northern bridge to take out the French Line on the island: 1:2.
A "Force March" let me develop the French right flank and threaten the bridge, but there was a solid line of Austrian infantry anchored on Leipheim to guard it.
I had been manoeuvring the French cavalry to the left with the plan of getting it across the bridge to finish off the damaged Austrian units there. Evert shifted the Austrian cavalry left and right and then attacked with a "Cavalry Charge". On the left, the French artillery took a battering. On the right, the Line infantry under Gen Lefol formed square.
French muskets on the left quickly removed the cavalry, but the Austrian guns then finished off the French artillery: 2:3.
I used a "Bayonet Charge" to push the Austrian Light infantry out of the woods by the ford on the left, only for Austrian Grenadiers to re-take the position.
D'Aspre advanced onto the island with cover from the Austrian artillery, but was immediately forced back by the French forces holding the southern bridge and ford.
The score went to 2:4 as Austrian muskets eliminated the French infantry on the left ford.
As skirmishing continued on the left I finally got the cavalry into action, only to be beaten back.
While fighting continued on the left, the Austrian artillery removed General Malher and the Line infantry that had advanced onto the island - 2:5 as the Austrian Grenadiers had moved out of Leipheim.
A "Force March" let me assault across the bridge on the right and batter the Grenadiers. However, Evert retreated them back into the town and destroyed the French Line infantry on the bridge - 2:6.
A seventh banner was in the works for Evert as he held three towns again and there was nothing I could do about it. So that's 2:7 and a thrashing for my French.
Oh dear, that was one-sided. Particularly compared to the first game (aggregate score was 9:13 in Evert's favour). It was also much longer - 40 turns in just over 2 hours - as we were rather cautious this time. Evert did an excellent job of shifting his damaged units out of harm's way so that I couldn't finish them off.
And the Austrians win two out of two - looks like a good scenario for them (ahistorically).
I’ve also posted this report on my BGG blog (with pictures!): boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/159688

Pevans

Time to create page: 1.178 seconds