KB01 Alternative Quatre Bras (16 June 1815)

More
10 years 5 months ago #1204 by alecrespi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #1206 by Bayernkini

Reinforcements arrive immediately when a French unit comes within 5 hexes of the British edge or a British unit (including allies) comes within 3 hexes of the French edge. The British place 2 x GG and 1 x FA anywhere in the orange hexes. The French place 2 x CU and General Kellermann anywhere in the green hexes.

Does this mean, that one condition bring both reinforcements (Allies & French), or the Allies need the Allies condition and the French need the French condition?

The French cannot win unless they occupy Quatre Bras.

A tough victory conditon, because i never seen so far a french unit, occupy Quatre Bras, in all of my or other games i watched :whistle:

Nevertheless, i will add the scenario to the next module update with the Austrians :)
and feel free, setup more fanscenarios, with the Austrians now, you have a lot of more possibilities of battles, which are waiting :)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1207 by keithabarker
Yes it was meant that both reinforcements arrive at the same time.

Do you think I should ask Alessandro to change the text to say:

Reinforcements arrive for both sides immediately when a French unit comes ...

Would that make it clearer?

We didn't see many French units occupying QB originally either. This is why we changed the victory conditions. Note that they now get an extra Victory Banner for doing so. And of course the lancers from Expansion 1 to help them.

Would be intersting to hear how this plays out for other gamers.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #1208 by Achtung-Panzer
Hi Keith

Perhaps the sentence should read "All reinforcements arrive immediately for both sides when a French unit comes ..."

BTW I really like how your ammended scenario and the new rule for Walled Farmhouses are adding some historical 'realism' to some of the scenarios. Waterloo should be a much more even scenario than the current 80:20 ratio.

Like you I also want to see more use of the French Lancers and wondered about replacing a LC unit with Lancers in the Waterloo scenario. Delighted that the Austrians also have Lancers.

Plesae keep up the good work with C&C:N scenarios. I believe writing good ones is an art form.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Achtung-Panzer.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1216 by Achtung-Panzer

keithabarker wrote: Yes it was meant that both reinforcements arrive at the same time.

Do you think I should ask Alessandro to change the text to say:

Reinforcements arrive for both sides immediately when a French unit comes ...

Would that make it clearer?

We didn't see many French units occupying QB originally either. This is why we changed the victory conditions. Note that they now get an extra Victory Banner for doing so. And of course the lancers from Expansion 1 to help them.

Would be intersting to hear how this plays out for other gamers.

We placed all reinforcements at the end of the turn when the French entered the 5th hex row. So the Allies were able to order their reinforcements in their next turn (card permitting).

The game played well with a sense of desperation for the French and the British Grenadier Guards forming and holding square against French Lancers, Cuirassiers and Light Cavalry!

Still a hard scenario for the French to win but very enjoyable.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1220 by keithabarker
I think the thing to remember as the French player is that you should with a bit of luck to be able to control when the reinforcements arrive. Before you cross the river you should try the following. Push forward with light infantry to put pressure on Perponcher. Use artillery to clear the hills. Push forward your infantry and cavalry into but not across the river line. Then do a big push, ideally with the help of an assault or bayonet charge.

The one thing you don’t want to do as the French is move across too soon with just a token force which gives the British good time to deploy Cooke's Foot Guards.

The British counter to this could be to sacrifice Perponcher’s Light Infantry to reach within 3 hexes of the French edge.

At least that's my "take" after playing it quite a few times.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1221 by Achtung-Panzer
And all that is why IMHO you've strengthened this scenario considerably. I like C&C:N scenarios which require a bit of planning before unleashing your attack(s). Scenario objectives greatly help in this aspect.

I look forward to more of your scenarios Keith - both original and 'alternate'.

More
8 years 9 months ago #2772 by Mark-McG
As written I would reckon this scenario unwinnable for the French provided the Allies move a GG to Quatre Bras immediately. The French can massacre every other unit on the map, and still draw.

Remove that condition and it seems to play fine.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
7 years 2 days ago #4635 by sharpe1812
Hi,

Love this alternative scenario. Definitely adds something with the French need to take QB. The scenario as written is very, very tough for the French to win. I have played it quite a few times.

What I do to add "sauce for the goose."

Give Ney 5 tactical cards to Wellington's 4.

Play reinforcements as follows: Put a FR Cu unit on the 4th space from the edge of the French Right and put the Brit GG 5 spaces from the same right. Starting with the 2nd turn, each player rolls two dice before playing a card. The French move the Cu "down the track" each cav symbol they roll. The British for each "red arty" symbol. When the unit drops off the board, immediately add the reinforcements. Neither player may enter the other player's reinforcement area. Players may fire, battle into, or move through but may not end a move, melee, breakthrough, card play, etc. in.

Let me know what you think.

More
7 years 2 days ago #4636 by sharpe1812
Additional note to my modified Alt QB:

Before playing a CC, a player rolls 2 dice to see if he advances his reinforcements. A player may discard one of his tactics cards to add one die for a total of 3.

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds