116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)

More
12 years 2 months ago #642 by alecrespi

Alessandro - Website Admin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #818 by Mark-McG
My recall of this scenario is that Kempe has real trouble crossing the Zadorra River, mainly because of the constricted exit off the bridge. In fact it was almost unguarded and they crossed easily.

Generally speaking the French forces seem setup rather close to the British lines.

Wellington could get 6 cards too.

Bit of history off the Penisular War website
www.peninsularwar.org/vitoria.htm

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Mark-McG.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #4400 by Tarheel
Replied by Tarheel on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
Played this scenario for the first time last night. I wonder if the tactician cards alter the statistics much. I suspect many of the games listed here we're playing before these cards existed. I won as the allies nine banners to five. This was thankfully helped by 2 leader kills. getting the right tactician cards can be big for the allies and I had some good ones. my battle plan initially was to attack the right center after and immediate attack with Calvary, The latter of which took heavy damage but I was able to push the french back a little. a maneuver card allowed me to evacuate this plan and reinforce the right side for a heavy push the battle was won along of the hill. The side of the battle with a river was not very active thankfully because it can be a disaster I suspect. My opponents success there was getting rid of my light British unit due to pot shots from cannons and infantry. It is in a bad position since It can't retreat. several replays of this scenario are probably necessary to draw conclusions.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Tarheel.

More
7 years 2 months ago #4403 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
I'd estimate the majority of plays are pre-Tactics cards, but in this scenario I think the problem is that contrary to the historical narrative, Kempe must cross a bridge into the teeth of the French defence. The bridge has 1 exit, and the hill is in a French cross fire and without possibility of support. The British left flank is a death trap, rather than the unguarded flanking march it was historically. As long as the Brits have a good supply of Centre cards then that doesn't matter, but the whole setup seems too close in my view.

[img][/img]

More
7 years 2 months ago #4404 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
surprised there is no Epic version (official or fan) of this famous battle. I think the extra board depth would help here.

[img][/img]

More
7 years 2 months ago #4418 by Superman
Replied by Superman on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
i think this scenario comes down to how lucky you roll dice on the first turn as both sides are separated by only one hex in the center. If you don't begin with any center cards, you're hosed.

I wonder if the British had a Grand Maneuver card first turn and used it to bring his 4 left flank infantry units that are trapped behind the river; if that would make much of a difference. Those units get slaughtered if you bring them across the bridge one at a time. Some would still get wiped out, but the French have a target rich environment either way.

More
5 years 11 months ago #5208 by sharpe1812
I agree with Mark. The scenario --unhistorically-- favors the French even with Tactician Cards. Scenario illustrates why the French are superior with their +1 melee bonus and 4-block cavalry units.

More
3 years 1 month ago #7016 by LARS
Replied by LARS on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
Soult’s and Trelliard’s Dragoons are the heroes of the day. Wellington was on the brink of victory when the cavalry strike forced his attackers into squares. Stewart also went down weakening the Allied resolve. 7-4 French.

More
3 years 1 month ago #7017 by LARS
Replied by LARS on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
Actually it was 9-6 French.

More
1 year 7 months ago #7895 by Richards
Replied by Richards on topic 116 Vitoria (21 June 1813)
Played without Tactician cards.

Turns 1: French Fire and Hold from the central heights eliminating a British infantry regiment.
Turn 2: British commence a heavy Cavalry Charge causing an artillery battery to retreat behind the central ridgeline. But the second French artillery unit opens up at short range annihilating an entire British heavy cavalry unit. The French then Counter-Attack with their own cavalry charge! The attack eliminates the last British heavy cavalry regiment. A black day for the British equestrian corps! French lead 3 to 0.
Turn 3: French assault the center with more cannon and musketry volleys. British regulars are falling in droves. French secure two more victory banners and the Allied center has evaporated. French 5, Allies 0.
Turn 4: Spanish and British forces execute a Bayonet Charge against the French left. The Allies obtain their first banner and push the French back. French attempt to Rally… but utterly fail.
Turn 5: Generals William Stewart and Pablo Morillo continue to press the French left. French 6, Allies 4.
Turn 9: French artillery decimate British regulars around the bridge leading to Tres Puentes. Allied advance on the French left stalls. French 7, Allies 4.
Turns 10 -16: Both sides start to maneuver and bring up reserves. Scattered long range musketry and artillery fire in the center and skirmishing on the French left.
Turn 17: The battle for the bridge to Tres Puentes heats up. General Jean François Leval makes a move toward the bridge, but General James Kempt’s Regulars, Light troops, and Rifles shatter Leval’s leading regiment. Leval is compelled to retreat. All tied at 8 victory banners.
Turn 18: On the French right, General Leval orders his artillery forward to cover his assault on Tres Puentes. General James Kempt sees the movement and orders his Light Division units to open fire on the artillery crews. The effect is devastating! The Allies earn their last banner and win the day 9 to 8. A very close, come from behind victory for the Allies.

Time to create page: 1.126 seconds