Katzbach

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2401 by Tarheel
Katzbach was created by Tarheel
BH10 - Battle of Katzbach, Janowitz Plateau
26, August 1813

Historical Background

"It was a day of fearful rain. Flint and gunpowder could not be used. It came to a
murderous grapple of man with man: and with the butt end of their muskets, the
infuriate Germans, like some Hercules prostrating wild beasts with a club, drove
the French in a confused rout down the steep bank into the red-flooded wild-gushing
stream of the Katzbach."

Napoleon, having marched to the aid of Dresden, MacDonald was left in charge of the
French forces in Silesia. He was instructed to protect Napoleon's chain of supply and
hold but against orders he continued the pursuit of Blücher's Army of Silesia (made up
of Russian and Prussians). MacDonald's forces were strung out and initially defending
the Katzbach river line, when he decided to make a crossing despite adverse weather
and without proper survey of the difficult terrain.

Heavy rain and thunderstorms made difficult his approach and crossing at the same time
that Blücher decided to turn and attack once realizing Napoleon was not with this force.
Much to the allied generals delight, he realized he would not have to attack over the river
but rather MacDonald was coming to him! Holding at the Janowitz plateau, he allowed
the French to cross and make the difficult climb before ordering the attack.

The heavy rain kept infantry muskets from firing giving full rein to the Allied superiority
in cavalry and artillery position.

The heavy rains led to much flooding and the French were unable to retreat effectively
and suffered heavy losses.

The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command.
Can you change history?

Battle Notes

French Army of the Bober
•Commander: MacDonald
•5 Command Cards
•Move First

Allied Army of Silesia
•Commander: Blücher
•5 Command Cards
•No Mother Russia roll
•2 Iron Will

Victory
7 flags

Special Rules

•Eichholz is a French Temporary Banner Objective, worth 1 victory banner (turn start).

•Gross Jänowitz is a Temporary Banner Objective, worth 1 victory banner (turn
start).

•Artillery fire at -1 die at all ranges except melee due to heavy rain and storms.

•Infantry units may not fire at range fire due to the thunderstorms and heavy rains.

•If a player draws the La Grand Maneuver card, they should discard it and replace it with
a new card due to the restricted area of battle and weather.

•All Russian LN units start at 4 strength
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Tarheel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2408 by Tarheel
Replied by Tarheel on topic Katzbach
Bayerinski and mark. Would like you both to play this and let me know thoughts. Keep an open mind that the storm was an essential feature of the battle, gunpowder muskets being useless during the rains, and that special rules to represent the storm, i feel, is critical to representing it.

Goal is to create situation where the allies need to take early advantage of the cav and art advantage as they did historically but if french survive the early stage can have better chance of victory.

Historically, charpentier was mauled before souhqm could help relieve.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Tarheel.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2409 by Bayernkini
Replied by Bayernkini on topic Katzbach
Not sure, if it´s general historical,
and if it´s special a good scenario rule, to prevent any range fire.

Further a second special rule with the "command cards".

As i wrote already, dont try to make a "historical simulation" with C%C system.

Choose one main option:
- Range fire -1 die for example
or
- Random command cards (maybe similar the "commissar rule" of MM44),

but not both or much more.

If your main intention is an early Allies attack, represent it with any other (already existing) rule.

But again, it´s only my mind ;)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2410 by Tarheel
Bayernkini

Better read the special rules again. There is no rule with command cards. I ditched that a while back. This was updated this am.

not sure i could eliminate the range rule. The historical record is strong that muskets were ineffective and most of the battle was bayonet artillery and cav. But for the sake of game play might look at how it works with infantry fire at -2 dice at range

If i do this will eliminate the complicated weather roll. But need a mechanism to delay french artillery

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2412 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Katzbach
OK, I think we should sort out the Special rules before any playtesting. So some observations and suggestions.

As noted the Storm and Heavy rain are key aspects of the battle. There is no indication that the storm subsided during the battle in my (limited) reading
warandsecurity.com/2013/08/28/the-battle...bach-26-august-1813/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Katzbach

so my first suggestion is to scrap the turn start rolling. It's raining, it stays raining.

The rain effect is;
1. no ranged fire for infantry
2. -1d for Artillery fire

For the French artillery delay. Place the French artillery on map on the Base Line.
Ordering French artillery requires 2 Orders.

This would reduce the Special Rules to;
1. No ranged fire for infantry
2. -1d for all Artillery fire
3. Ordering French artillery requires 2 Orders
4. Eichholz and Gross Janowitz are Temporary French Banner Objective hexes worth 1 banner each

there is one other suggestion, given the historical context. Remove the La Grande Manoeuvre card before play

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img]
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Mark-McG.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2413 by Tarheel
I like it.

Slight modifications done but otherwise as per your suggestion. French artillery was slow to reach the plateau, and uncertain at best. With adjustment, arrival is uncertain, but could make a difference with luck, which French needed in reality.

files updated above.

thanks

More
5 years 8 months ago #2415 by Mark-McG

The french FA units are each placed by playing a scout card and placing the unit on the
marked entry hex in that section or playing a bombard card to place both of them at
entry hexes. The FA unit(s) may not be ordered that turn in either case.

can another unit be ordered, e.g the Horse Artillery for Bombard, or for example a Scout Left, then another Left Section unit? As written, I presume this is an additional effect of the card.

[img]

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2416 by Tarheel
wording it is tough.

The intent is that if you play a scout or bombard, you get to place one or both FA units (depending on card) as a free action. You may then USE the card to order other units (but not the newly arriving unit which is still trying to get up the mud slopes.) I hope that makes some sense.

So, for example, from an earlier turn, I have already placed one of the FA units. I get lucky and have bombard in my hand. I play bombard. First, I get to place the second FA unit at an entry hex of choice. Now I can order artillery units per the written bombard card rules. I order the FA which was placed on an earlier turn and the HA which started the game in play. The new FA can't be ordered yet.

Slightly clunky, but I didnt want the French to be able to bring the FA units on with bombard and then rocket them to the front lines. I consider that their 'movement' this turn was to enter the board, but I didnt want to punish the French player further, so wanted them to still be able to order other things on the board. The entire purpose of this special rule is to provide that uncertainty as to where and when the artillery might arrive, but to keep it within the natural 'flow' of card play and avoid extra dice rolling.

More
5 years 8 months ago #2417 by Mark-McG

The french FA units are each placed by playing a scout card and placing the unit on the
marked entry hex in that section or playing a bombard card to place both of them at
entry hexes. The FA unit(s) may not be ordered that turn in either case but other units may still be ordered using that card.

how about
Up to 2 French Foot Artillery may arrive as reinforcements based upon card play.
Whenever the French plays a Scout card they may in addition to ordering an on map unit, place one Foot Artillery in a vacant Base Line entry hex of that section. Whenever the French player plays a Bombard card, in addition to normal effects, all remaining Reinforcements may be placed on vacant Base Line entry hexes in any section. Newly placed artillery may not be ordered that turn.

somewhat lengthy, but a difficult concept to convey.

[img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

More
5 years 8 months ago #2418 by Tarheel
I like that. Text replaced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:823
  • Latest Member:KryspinTrych
  • Total Posts:6657
  • Total Topics:749
  • Total Sections:2
  • Total Categories:14
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:2

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
Bayernkini 1103
Mark-McG 912
Tarheel 257
GG 180
TheMP 175

Top Thanks

Top Thanks Thanks
Bayernkini 312
Mark-McG 81
GG 16
Grambo589 14
Tarheel 13

Random Quote

Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never.~Napoleon