More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #2066 by alecrespi
BH03 Landshut (21 April 1809)

File Attachment:

File Name: BH03__Landshut.pdf
File Size:409 KB

Alessandro - Website Admin
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Bayernkini.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #2084 by Achtung-Panzer
Interesting challlenge for the French who need to spend time manouvering given the 'pinch-points' for crossing the river.

More
7 years 10 months ago #3574 by Mark-McG
"The Austrian player may play a scout card for 1 victory banner instead of playing it for its printed effects. "

Does this mean no orders are made?

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
7 years 10 months ago #3575 by Tarheel
That is correct. no order

More
7 years 10 months ago #3576 by Mark-McG
Played this scenario yesterday with the Exp. 5 rules, a 75 card deck and the Tactics cards.
Lannes started 5 Tactics cards, Hiller 2 Tactics cards.

The initial French attack in the Right was repulsed for the loss of a French cavalry, and lucky not to lose both cavalry. The French then withdrew back across the river on this flank, which remained mostly dormant for the rest of the game.

On the French left, the Austrians tried to evacuate their units to Landshut, which was mostly achieved, but the Lancers were trapped and destroyed. By this stage the Austrians had played Scouts on Left and Centre, and led 4-1. Shortly after the Scout Right card was played (5-1) and the time pressure was off. The French artillery was then brought up and conducted a prolonged (about 1 hour of game time) battering of any visible Austrians, eventually killing 1 Austrian artillery and 1 Austrian Line, and reducing several other units. Any attempt by either side to cross the river and bring matters to a head resulted in casualties, and the French were luckier in converting losses to banners. (2 banners, the Austrian Light and the remaining cavalry).

With no mobility, the Austrians were on a certain, slow path to loss, and a final push from Landshut across the bridge to try and achieve victory was finished by Artillery Cannister. Whole game ran for over 2 hours, much of which was artillery fire. Without any time pressure, the French can just plink it out, and the Austrians have little in the way of offensive mobility to take the fight to the French. French win 7-5, with only 1 French unit lost.

Seemed to me that Exp.5 has significantly changed the game for this scenario, though the underlying problem of no time pressure was always there.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
7 years 10 months ago #3581 by Bangla
Agree with Mark. I thought the game drifted into a tedious siege-like exercise. A change might be to increase the banners for victory to 8 or 9, but allow the Austrians to gain up to 2 banners per section for Scout cards. Might push the French a bit more. To be honest, I don't know much about this battle, so I don't know whether this would force a relatively ahistorical approach.
Had we played something along these lines though in the game Mark describes, I would have had to shift my forces to the right flank and press home the attack there instead of playing a waiting game on the left. As it was I had an artillery cannister card ready for any sortie the Austrians might have made out of Landshut itself. It seemed impossible for me to lose in the long run.

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #4542 by Tarheel
sorry, I had to edit what I just posted. I misspoke.

I think we can simplify the scenario by replacing special rule four with "time pressure rules are against the French "
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Tarheel.

More
4 years 11 months ago #5750 by Hawkmoon
Seems difficult for the French to win. We have been playing 2 games : 7/5 & 7/2 for the Austrian side...

Time to create page: 0.702 seconds