Cavalry calculation when attacking Infantry Square

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #1488 by Polish-Lancer
Hi all,

have looked through the rules section but can't find this question anywhere. It comes up a fair bit so we agreed to check it here.

Full strength cavalry attacks Infantry who go into square.

The Cav have 4 blocks. In a straight out attack they receive fire and reply with 1 dice (assuming no retreat is forced). No problem.

Now, what happens with an Infantry Square in modifying terrain? The rules say that positive modifiers don't count and that negative modifiers do. No problem. But when are these calculated? Does the entire 4 block cavalry unit count as 1 up front and then the negative terrain is applied? i.e. Cavalry can NEVER attack Infantry Squares in any kind of negative terrain?

OR

Does the cavalry count as 4 dice for the 4 blocks, negative terrain modifiers are applied, and then assuming the cavalry have a total of 2 or 3 dice it is at that point that the "no more than 1 dice" rule is applied as the final modifier? Does the statement "this means that cavalry MAY not get an attack" (caps mine) indicate this is the case as full strength cavalry can overcome negative terrain to maintain at least 1 dice of attack but as their srength is ground down they lose this capability?

Thanks in advance

Rob
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Polish-Lancer. Reason: spelling / dodgy typing skills
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grondeaux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #1489 by Grondeaux
We've always played it so that the cavalry unit gets 1 dice as a base attack roll, regardless of he number of blocks it has. Any terrain modifications (like woods or a hill) means the cavalry unit gets no attack. That makes Cossacks useful, once you have the enemy infantry in square in the woods.

I'll be curious to see how others weigh in on this subject.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polish-Lancer

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #1490 by Bayernkini

have looked through the rules section but can't find this question anywhere. It comes up a fair bit so we agreed to check it here.

It´s clear in the rulebook, therefore this Basic rule isn´t repeat here :)

Now, what happens with an Infantry Square in modifying terrain? The rules say that positive modifiers don't count and that negative modifiers do. No problem. But when are these calculated? Does the entire 4 block cavalry unit count as 1 up front and then the negative terrain is applied? i.e. Cavalry can NEVER attack Infantry Squares in any kind of negative terrain?

thats right, and as i wrote, if you read the rulebook, the steps are clear there

Melee Combat Procedure
1. Announce Melee Combat
2. Defending Cavalry Retire and Reform
3. Defending Infantry Form Square
4. Determine Strength of the Attack
5. Apply Command card Dice Additions
6. Apply Terrain Battle Dice Reduction
7. Resolve Combat
8. Score Hits
9. Apply Retreats
10. Additional Combat Actions; Taking Ground, Cavalry
Breakthrough, Bonus Melee Attack
11. Battle Back (Defending unit’s Battle Back, apply hits and
resolves retreats)

each point with an detailed Statement :whistle:

Also the chapter about "Square" explain all also detailed!

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
9 years 11 months ago #1491 by Mark-McG
If the cavalry unit is not eliminated or forced to retreat from its hex, the cavalry unit may melee against the infantry square with a maximum of 1 battle die. Combat cards and unit type will not increase the number of battle dice the cavalry unit may roll against the square. Terrain modifiers, however, may reduce a cavalry unit’s battle dice. A cavalry unit therefore may not have a die to roll.

A Combined Arms melee attack may add to the total number of dice rolled by adding in the battle dice of one or more ordered artillery units (See Combined Arms Combat).

So determining strength calculation is
Strength = 1 + combining artillery

Terrain reduction then apply to the individual components

thus

Strength = (1 - terrain mod,) + (combining art. - terrain mod.)

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
9 years 11 months ago #1492 by Grondeaux
So, tactically, if you're attacking an infantry unit in defensive terrain with a cavalry unit by itself the most you can really hope for is to remove one card from your opponent's hand. And tie up the unit in square, of course, forcing him or her to use an order to get them out of square.

If you want to do some serious damage to the enemy infantry, you'll either need to combine the cavalry unit with an artillery unit in a combined arms attack (as Mark McG noted), or have an infantry unit around to melee the unit in square.

More
9 years 11 months ago #1493 by Polish-Lancer
Thanks for the responses guys (except Bayernkini who took the dickwad option).

Issue resolved.

More
9 years 11 months ago #1494 by Michalxo
But it really helps, when you read the rules multiple times.. I know, it is usually boring, but you can always skip beginnings. And you will always know, where to find explanation to specific rule, which could have been played by you or your opponent.
And there rules are so nicely done. ;)

So I am backing Bayernkini. ;-)

Adding to Grondeaux's post: "And when doing combined arms attack, pray for opponent not having First Strike.. if he does so, then please, don't roll a flag on me..." :D

Time to create page: 0.914 seconds