Square attacking in Combined Arms

More
13 years 1 month ago #262 by pascal72
Hello,

We can read in the rules :

An infantry square may also be ordered to melee combat. The maximum number of battle dice an infantry unit in square may roll in melee combat is 1 die. (page 17)

but also :

When an ordered infantry or cavalry unit is about to attack an enemy unit in melee, one or more ordered artillery units may combine their battle dice with the attacking unit../.. The artillery’s battle dice are added to the battle dice of the friendly unit making the melee attack. All the dice are rolled together at the same time. (page 18)

In the situation below, may B (1 die) attacks A in combined arms with C (3dices) for 4 dices (sabers counting hits) ?

I think so, but prefer asking for confirmation.. thanks in advance..;)

Alea jacta est...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #264 by Chris-Roper
I would say yes on the basis that that i can't find anything in the rules to preclude it and your argument is also reinforced by this line "There
may be an occasion where the infantry or cavalry unit battle dice is zero. The artillery unit engaging in combined arms may still roll its battle dice."
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Chris-Roper.

More
13 years 1 month ago #265 by Stormkahn
I'd say yes too, however that's from a rules point of view. :)

From a reality point of view it doesn't seem to make so much sense that the square can be used as an offensive formation in the 1st place. :blink:

cheers,

Dave.

More
13 years 1 month ago #267 by Nezran

Stormkahn wrote: I'd say yes too, however that's from a rules point of view. :)

From a reality point of view it doesn't seem to make so much sense that the square can be used as an offensive formation in the 1st place. :blink:

cheers,

Dave.

I see it more as the artillery offering support to a unit that is in a dire circumstance. If the artillery is in range, I would certainly order it to fire on the cavalry unit. The real issue is whether or not cross swords would count.

Time to create page: 0.868 seconds