Square, retreat question

More
6 years 9 months ago #4785 by Superman
If a unit cannot retreat due to its path being blocked from other units, impassable terrain, or being on the baseline; the rules say one block must be removed for each retreat that cannot be accomplished. Since the unit can't move from the space, does it get to battle back with its remaining blocks?
And in the case of cavalry which attacked a square and way bounced but has no path to retreat, after the cavalry removes a block does it get to battle back with one die?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4788 by Bayernkini
Replied by Bayernkini on topic Square, retreat question

If a unit cannot retreat due to its path being blocked from other units, impassable terrain, or being on the baseline; the rules say one block must be removed for each retreat that cannot be accomplished. Since the unit can't move from the space, does it get to battle back with its remaining blocks?

Apart from that, you didnt say, which unit(s) battles with the square and who is attacker/defender (and if there are special TC cards played), you should find the basic rules and your answer on

Rulebook page 16, right column following - IFANTRY SQUARE
Please read the rules including examples careful.

And remember, ALL basic rules still apply, except you find any clear wording against it (and please let away ANY own interpretations).

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4792 by Superman
Replied by Superman on topic Square, retreat question
Let me try again. Sorry for any confusion; I'm typing on phone and away from home so don't have rules in front of me. Forget squares for a moment. Let's say an infantry unit melees another infantry unit. If the defending unit survives the attack and is not forced to retreat from its hex, then it may battle back. Now in the case were the defending unit receives a retreat flag but can't move back because of impassable terrain the it loses a block for each retreat move it can't perform. The question is does the defending unit get to battle back since it is still in melee contact? Simple yes or no please. Thank you.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4793 by Bayernkini
From rulebook page 12 number 11 (Battle back description)

- If the defending unit is forced to retreat out of its original hex, it may not Battle Back, even if its retreat move places the unit in a hex that is still adjacent to the attacking unit.
- If the defending unit was unable to fulfill a required retreat, it may Battle Back as long as it still has one or more blocks remaining on the battlefield after taking block losses for not completing its retreat.

Whats unclear here in the rules ?

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4794 by Superman
Thank you. Now in the case of an infantry square attacking in melee against enemy cavalry and the cav unit receives a flag which it can't ignore because it is considered a bounce and can't retreat because it is blocked; after removing one block does the cav unit get to battle back. By the logic of the above rule I tend to think yes; but since this is a "bounce", which is a special case, I'm not sure. So maybe the cav unit since it can't move still takes one block of damage but can't battle back because it was bounced.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4795 by Bayernkini
Why you don´t read the rules first (as i said above), so we could prevent this thread.

Rulebook page 18 left column, Bounce Flag: read (ALL) yourself

My dice are the hell!

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4796 by Achtung Panzer
The answer is the case of defending Inf taking a loss is Yes. The unit took losses but was not destroyed so can battle back as normal. Does this help?
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Achtung Panzer.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4797 by Superman
Panzer, thanks for chiming in. Yes I understand that a unit which can't retreat because its path is blocked gets to battle back. What I am trying to determine is if this rule applies to a cavalry unit which is melee attacked by an infantry unit in square. The square roles one die and rolls a flag against the cavalry. Since this is considered a 'bounce', the cav must retreat one hex, but since its path is blocked it can't move and remains in melee contact with the infantry square. After the cav unit removes one of its blocks does it get to battle back with one die against the square?

No need to copy and paste rules, just a simple yes or no. Thanks.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Superman.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4798 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Square, retreat question
If the cavalry unit is not eliminated or forced to retreat from its hex, the cavalry unit may melee against the infantry square with a maximum of 1 battle die. Combat cards and unit type will not increase the number of battle dice the cavalry unit may roll against the square. Terrain modifiers, however, may reduce a cavalry unit’s battle dice. A cavalry unit therefore may not have a die to roll. A Combined Arms melee attack may add to the total number of dice rolled by adding in the battle dice of one or more ordered artillery units (See Combined Arms Combat).

Q: is the cavalry eliminated for forced to retreat from the hex?
A: No

so the Cavalry may battle back. Just read the rule literally.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
6 years 9 months ago #4799 by Superman
Thank you Mark-McG for answering my question. My confusion lay in that the rules under "bounced" cavalry did not address whether or not a "bounced" cavalry, which was physically blocked from moving back a hex, could battle back. So yes it can, which was not obvious when reading about getting bounced. Cheers,

Time to create page: 0.772 seconds