The Bounce Flag When Retreat Impossible

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #3854 by TheMP
Couldn't find anything in the rules to prevent the cavalry fighting back, unless somebody can tell me different.

A cavalry unit wishes to attack a square. The cavalry unit has no retreat or 'bounce' path behind him due to other units occupying those hexes, one of which is an enemy unit.

The square rolls first and rolls a flag. The Bounce Flag rule on page 20 state - para.1 - "If the cavalry unit can not retreat, it loses a block for each retreat hex the cavalry unit can not fulfill." That's easy enough so the cavalry lose one block but stay in the same hex. Now to the cavalry. It seems they are still allowed to attack the infantry because the rule goes on to state - para 3 - "If the cavalry unit is not eliminated or forced to retreat from its hex when being attacked by infantry in square, the cavalry may melee against the infantry square". The words sticking out there for us was "FORCED TO RETREAT FROM ITS HEX" which in this example it was unable to do.

So the simple question is 'Despite getting a bounce flag against them, is this cavalry unit is still allowed to melee' ?
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by TheMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #3856 by Bayernkini
"Forced to retreat" includes leaving the initial hex.
1. If the Cavalry is still adjacend in the inital hex = it may attack the square
2. If the Cavalry leave the initial hex, it can´t attack the square, also if it would be again adjacent to the square (in another/new hex).

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
7 years 7 months ago #3857 by TheMP
B,
That's how we played it in end.

I used to assume the Bounce Flag meant that the cavalry ALWAYS would not get a return dice roll to attack. But no, yesterday's example showed that they can (and they eliminated a single block square by being allowed to roll).

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #3858 by Bayernkini

(and they eliminated a single block square by being allowed to roll).

Therefore it can make also sense in such a situation, use a First Strike with the Cavalry ;)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
7 years 7 months ago #3859 by TheMP
You need the First Strike in your hand Mr. I don't think there was a First strike in the whole game actually? The card ghost stole them!

More
7 years 7 months ago #3864 by tlangston28

TheMP wrote: (and they eliminated a single block square by being allowed to roll).

Still was not enough for me to get the win!

Time to create page: 0.972 seconds