VASSAL Module - Official VS Other

Poll: C&C:N VASSAL module - Which one do you prefer?

Official (from Joel Toppen)
3 33.3%
Unofficial (from Bayernkini)
6 66.7%
Total number of voters: 9 ( Bayernkini, ggallagher, bdgza, Jihef, Angiel ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #37 by bdgza
There is the "Official" C&C:N VASSAL module as created by Joel Toppen, and there is the "Other" module by bayernkini.

The initial "Official" module versions were a big break from the modules in C&C games that we've become accustomed to over the years. Different way of playing, different markers, different commands. Bayernkini's "Other" module gives us the C&C:N game in a package that we are used to, that we know works, and how it works. The "Official" module however has been updated rapidly to the current version 1.42, with 1.43 promised to come in the near future. These updates have changed the module to be more comfortable to C&C module users, such as taking over the same keyboard shortcuts.

This thread is to open a discussion about the usage of these modules.
Is one better than the other?
Is the "Other" module better because it's exactly the same, or is the "Official" module now easy enough to use, but with nice new features?
Which do you prefer?
Should we choose one, or use both?
etc.

I will make a start by listing what I think are PROS and CONS of one vs the other, and then give my personal preference.

"Official" PROS over "Other":
- Nice new high resolution graphics, that scale up well on larger screens
- The blocks look more like the real board game
- Automation for counting victory banners
- Automation for selecting a random card for the square slot
- Has a "solitaire" option
- Cards can be drawn automatically in the hand window

"Other" PROS over "Official":
- Looks and plays exactly like previous C&C modules
- 1/3 the size of the "official" module
- Slightly more efficient to build scenarios
- Includes reference charts in the module
- Already has an EPIC extension for custom scenarios

Looking at the technical issues (outside and inside each module):
- "Other" did not prepare well for future extensions with only a width of 4 or 5 for the Terrain tiles per row. Perhaps no new terrain is expected?
- "Other" builds pretty much on the framework of other C&C modules such as C&C:A and Memoir '44. Board, side board, units, it should all be pretty easily expandable with extensions
- "Other" uses prototypes based on the number of blocks per unit, while "Official" has prototypes based on the nationality and category of each unit. I am not sure either way it makes a difference now, and not sure either if it will in future
- "Official" has a proper hierarchy of prototypes, while "Other" copies traits (which leads to errors, I could know, as I am fixing one such error in the Memoir '44 module and extensions)
- "Official" only uses one board internally, which means that it is not easy to interchange the board, with an EPIC board for example

My personal preference:
I didn't like the first incarnations of the "Official" module, they were too alien. But with the latest updates everything that was too different has been turned around, and it plays very closely to modules that we are used to for C&C games. I think the "Other" module is easy to expand, easy to modify, and is done in a way very familiar to all of us. The "Official" module adds new things though, which are nice to have, like better graphics, and automation. So I prefer to play with the "Official" module. I would change the terrain and units to a palette similar to the "Other" module, and add in reference charts. I also worry that adding EPIC boards or other changes will be more difficult, but I am sure a way will be found in the end.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by . Reason: added POLL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #38 by Bayernkini

- Slightly more efficient to build scenarios

First important main reason against the official module.
If you want setup a CCA scenario with official CCA style, you use the CCA module.
If you want setup a CCNapo scenario with official style, you cant use the official module (that is one reason, why some things must be don on vassal other, than on real board).

- Nice new high resolution graphics, that scale up well on larger screens

Another reason against the official module for me, imagine you have a epic scenario with this big resolution.
With the smaller one block style, you need a smaller map, on which you can still
identify all units, (compare a CCA epic scenario, if you zoom it on your monitor size).
And you can also do an one-block style with higher resolution, if you want, this
is still about 70% smaller than the official module, which need place to show up to 5 blocks!
And we live in times of mobile internet, i want to play and see the board also on
small notebooks and smallest netbooks, not only home at 50inch TV.

Then i am a friend, to do things easy and similar like on board.
On boardgame, the player "give" you all cards, you pick one and set it to square field.
On official module, i want also to see all cards and pick one, i hate to much
"computer intelligence", if you understand.

In this coherence, i need less windows, which i have to open.
I am a friend of less windows, less shortcuts and less different menu orders.

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Bayernkini.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #50 by
I've added a poll on TOP of this thread to keep track of preferences.
Please cast your vote and explain it with a post.
Thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

More
9 years 8 months ago #56 by AronBC
Let me start by saying I am brand new to Vassal and CCN. I am thoughly enjoying my experience with both. I have played two real-time games with the "Other Module" and have just finished one solitaire with the "Offical Module". So here are my comments . . . from a new guy.
Offical Module
ProCon
Great graphics, the idividual blocks represting the troops really adds a lot to the visual impact.The furthest zoom out is too small for my laptop display.
Nice automation on the card management, including square featuresMovement trails seem to track the units entire movement history. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
LOS tool snaps to center of each hexNo in game charts: terrian, national refernce, short-cut summary, etc.
-No method to link leaders to unit?

All things being equal my prefernce would be for the offical module, due to the visual appeal. I will probably use the "Other Module" as I become more familiar with CCN and Vassal in general.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #57 by bdgza
Q: Movement trails seem to track the units entire movement history. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
A: This is a problem with v1.42. You need to press End Turn AND the red MOV button. Joel has promised to fix this with v1.43, so End Turn will do both.

Q: No in game charts: terrian, national refernce, short-cut summary, etc.
A: There isn't.

Q: No method to link leaders to unit?
A: No, but I don't find this much of a problem, once you know how to handle it. Simply drag a rectangle around the unit and the leader to select both to move them together. Only select the unit when placing an attack marker.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bdgza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AronBC

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:823
  • Latest Member:KryspinTrych
  • Total Posts:6659
  • Total Topics:751
  • Total Sections:2
  • Total Categories:14
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:0
  • Yesterday Answer:1

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
Bayernkini 1103
Mark-McG 912
Tarheel 257
GG 180
TheMP 175

Top Thanks

Top Thanks Thanks
Bayernkini 312
Mark-McG 81
GG 16
Grambo589 14
Grondeaux 13

Random Quote

If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannonshots.~Napoleon