Rocket Battery (RB)

More
8 years 10 months ago #6674 by alecrespi

Alessandro - Website Admin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #6675 by RiverWanderer
Replied by RiverWanderer on topic Rocket Battery (RB)
To clarify: "2 XSW hits the RB itself" applies to Ranged Combat only.

More
3 years 6 months ago #6676 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Rocket Battery (RB)
I've updated this chart, and added a few obvious Strategy points
STRATEGY
Aim at targets with long retreat moves
Aim at targets in terrain, especially towns
Setup behind obstacles, e.g Forest, Hills, especially terrain that stops cavalry. Otherwise, setup in good defensive terrain.

these seem quite comparable to Artillery in Memoir'44, so if anyone has Strategy insights for this rarely used unit, please add here.

Similarly, if anyone has battles that Rocket Batteries were used, please give a list. Think Göhrde is the only official scenario.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: RiverWanderer

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #6677 by RiverWanderer
Strategy advice ... adding to "Aim at targets with long retreat moves",

Flags can't be ignored*
- aim at targets with blocked retreat paths
- aim at key targets that you want to knock out of position, especially slow moving ones like Foot Artillery

Rocket battery takes a hit on double XSW in Ranged combat:
- consider carefully if you really want to use bonus dice from Tactic or Tactician Cards for Rocket Battery**

And yes, Göhrde is the only official scenario. I wonder if there are any other battles in the Leipzig campaign where the Rocket Battery featured significantly enough to get into a scenario? Fingers crossed to see Whinyates' battery incorporated into the Extended LGB scenario when expansion 7 comes out, if only for flavour rather than significance in the battle.

*As I understand, even the TC card Hold The Line Leader is no help because of the fatal words in the Rocket Battery rules "target unit may not ignore flags rolled against it for any reason".

**Card wording on Tactic cards indicates that the bonus dice are not optional ("will" or "shall") but might be worth a query as the Rocket Battery is unique in that more dice = more risk. So, it is the one case where you might want to forego the extra dice but not taking part in the action at all seems like a high price (the cards being, Fire & Hold, Bombard, Leadership and Elan). Perhaps for simplicity, the risk has to be borne but does it need to be clarified whether 4 x XSW would be 2 hits on the Rocket Battery, or if 1 is the max? Finally, I think that Leader Checks don't apply to this special loss because it is not part of the normal "apply hits" part of the combat sequence. Interested to hear what others think on these points.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by RiverWanderer. Reason: Spelling and link, more strategy and questions.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #6701 by RiverWanderer
I have received a clarification from Richard Borg in respect of a couple of my questions above.

RiverWanderer wrote: Card wording on Tactic cards indicates that the bonus dice are not optional ("will" or "shall") but might be worth a query as the Rocket Battery is unique in that more dice = more risk. So, it is the one case where you might want to forego the extra dice but not taking part in the action at all seems like a high price (the cards being, Fire & Hold, Bombard, Leadership and Elan).

Richard's response:
"A player can indeed not take bonus dice, but it is an all or nothing decision. You can't choose to take only some bonus dice, you must take all or disregard all."

RiverWanderer wrote: I think that Leader Checks don't apply to this special loss because it is not part of the normal "apply hits" part of the combat sequence.

Richard's response:
"Instead of making an exception for an attached leader to a Rocket Battery [...] the block loss will cause a leader casualty check."
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by RiverWanderer. Reason: quote marks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkmoon, ANDRE

Time to create page: 1.142 seconds