Order of Battle

More
6 years 4 months ago #5004 by Galahad5307
Order of Battle was created by Galahad5307
Great Game with lots of interesting scenarios. What would be nice and informative if each scenario could come with an order of Battle. What units were actually present.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #5005 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Order of Battle
something you could look at is Napoleon, His Army and Enemies.
napoleonistyka.atspace.com/

generally a pretty informative website

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung Panzer

More
6 years 4 months ago #5008 by Galahad5307
Replied by Galahad5307 on topic Order of Battle
Very useful website but I was really looking at an order of Battle so I can identify the specific units at each battle.

More
6 years 4 months ago #5009 by Mark-McG
so the Wagram order of Battle is here
napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Battle_of_Wag...rian_Order_Of_Battle
napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Battle_of_Wag...ench_Order_Of_Battle

or are you trying to identify which block is which unit? That could be hard

[img][/img]

More
6 years 4 months ago #5010 by Galahad5307
Replied by Galahad5307 on topic Order of Battle
What would be nice, would be for each scenario to list what units were present. I realise it would be difficult to track individual blocks, but if a scenario stated 5 units of French line infantry it would be nice and informative to know what actual units they represent.

More
6 years 2 months ago #5089 by Mark-McG
I've found Wikipedia OK for this, though mainly the English battles

Other sources;
napoleonistyka.atspace.com/

www.britishbattles.com/

www.napoleonguide.com/

and obviously book sources. Getting agreement seems hard, but such is the nature of history

[img][/img]

More
6 years 2 months ago #5096 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic Order of Battle
Very difficult to do so given that the units don't really represent a regiment, brigade, division or corps, but are "game units" to give the feeling of the scenario to be fought. Also, the size of the units bear little relation to the real life size of units since these varied considerably from campaign to campaign. Some of the scenarios are scaled differently to others, so there's no real consistency as to what a "game unit" might represent unless you accept it can be fluid.
If you take the 015 Waterloo scenario as an example, for France there are 8 LN units, 1 LT, and 2 LC representing the three corps of line troops and two reserve cavalry corps. Where are the "Heavies" of Milhaud and Kellermann? Do the 8 LNs and 1 LT represent 9 regular infantry divisions? There should be 11 total infantry divisions, excluding any guards. For the cavalry, there were several divisions of both light and heavy, but these are only covered by 2 LCs.

I have long since given up any pretence of historical accuracy with C&CN. It's a fantastic GAME, and it does give an excellent feel of a Napoleonic battle for the most part, but I almost never try to correlate a scenario OOB with the historical one, nor expect necessarily the real-life Napoleonic tactics will always work. I leave that for when I play better simulations such as La Bataille. C&CN provides a great Napoleonic game experience, only takes about 1½ hours, and has connected me with dozens of players around the world.

More
6 years 2 months ago #5099 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic Order of Battle
I think you are misunderstanding the OP Bangla.

I don't think he is surmising that in every game the units represent the same size formations etc.

I think he is asking more than that, in that each scenario lists what units are represented by each C&C unit in that particular battle. That would be an awful lot of work for a game as simple as this and I would recommend that anybody interested should research this themselves. It would also give the added bonus of said person learning a whole lot more on each of the battles.

But as Bangla stated, with C^C being more a game than an in-depth simulation it would IMO be asking a lot for the designers to go into all that detail.

Time to create page: 0.704 seconds