Tactics for attacking

More
6 years 11 months ago #4719 by tshryock
Can you guys offer some tips for attacking? I haven't had much success. I generally try to weaken the defenders with some artillery and use light infantry to further weaken any defenders before using several cards to advance the infantry. I know to try to get several cards for the same section to push the attack, but can you offer some tips on executing a successful attack against a mixed-force defensive line (artillery, infantry with maybe some LC support)? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4720 by Superman
Replied by Superman on topic Tactics for attacking
If my forces are in good terrain (and I'm not playing the french), I go on the defensive and let my opponent attack me. Let his infantry attack my towns at -2. Make sure your forces in towns are supported and/or with leader to avoid a retreat. What units survive the initial onslaught should fight back with combined arms when able during your turn. If your artillery outnumbers your opponents artillery, you can just sit back and fire away.

If I go on the offensive I'll maneuver infantry units in such a way as to be ready for when I get a 'bayonet charge' or 'forced march' card. Leaders play a key role with the 'forced march' card. If you have expansion #5 set, GMT, then some of the tactician cards can really help on the attack. 'Inspired Infantry' is very powerful when used to attack a weak unit first, to ensure success then attack again with the bonus attack at a stronger unit.

Before moving your infantry up you can try and take out some of his artillery out. I try to do this using combined arms with my cavalry. Maybe wait unit I have a 'cavalry charge' card and use it with heavy cav plus horse artillery.

Botton line is you want to roll the maximum amount of dice on an enemy unit so that there is very little chance that he can battle back. Using full units with combined arms equates to max dice rolled.

The more you play, the better you will get. Of course getting the right cards and rolling good, it helps to be lucky.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4721 by tshryock
Replied by tshryock on topic Tactics for attacking
Thanks for the tips. I think one thing I've been hesitant to do is throw my cavalry into the fray -- I tend to keep them back, looking for opportunities later on. Sounds like I need to be more aggressive with my cavalry -- supported by artillery -- to do some damage to enemy artillery and/or force infantry to square while my infantry advances?

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #4722 by Grondeaux
Replied by Grondeaux on topic Tactics for attacking
The most success, IMHO, comes from patience... waiting until the right moment to launch the attack... and using combined arms. The "right moment" means when you have that Bayonet Charge or Forced March card along with a follow-up card or two or three, and you've moved your units into position. You got the idea with cavalry... use them to force infantry into square, then attack the square with infantry in melee. Or a combined arms infantry/artillery melee attack against a square. Squares attacked this way usually have a very short life expectancy. Cavalry, especially Heavy Cavalry, can be very effective in taking out defending artillery, especially if the artillery isn't stacked with a leader or is unsupported. Cavalry is also your best anti-cavalry weapon, especially if you can combine them with artillery for a combined arms attack.

Unfortunately, your opponent often refuses to cooperate with your master plan.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Grondeaux.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4730 by tshryock
Great tips, thanks! I tried some of the ideas last night and threw some of my cavalry into action instead of hoarding them with better results. Those enemy batteries are hard to dispose of!

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #4740 by Superman
Replied by Superman on topic Tactics for attacking
Excellent comments from Grondeaux. I would add that when using your cavalry it pays to attack units which stand a good chance of retreating, this way you get to do a cavalry breakthrough and attack again. Artillery which has an attached leader and is also supported can be very difficult to defeat with a single cavalry unit because statistically you won't get enough kills or retreats and the artillery will battle back doing pretty good damage.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Superman.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4742 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Tactics for attacking
I can add 2 other tips;

Cavalry dominance - if you can write down the opposing cavalry to no longer be a threat, you can pretty effectively take initiative and force the opponent to huddle back.

Artillery dominance - if you have more artillery, you can attack with weight of shot, forcing the opponent to take action as an attack, or retreat. The side with the most artillery will win the game without a alternative action.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #4746 by sharpe1812
Replied by sharpe1812 on topic Tactics for attacking
Excellent tips!

Also:
Performing melee has a higher probability of inflicting casualties; but take into account the counterattack and the next card play for a possible 2 attacks in a row against you.

Sometimes it is better to weaken several adjacent units than use a 4-block/5 die attack against a 1-block unit when you can reduce a full strength adjacent defender by 2-3 blocks. Remember: Cards activate 1-6+Tactician cards number of units. If you reduce the enemy or have elite units against his line units, your edge can make all the difference.

Think about using a unit to melee and destroy an enemy unit so a unit that would have had to melee can now use its fire and fire bonus to attack more effectively a unit at range.

Unless in good terrain sometimes the best defense is offense. Attack first to get the upper hand in attrition.

Remember the "rock/paper/scissors": Cavalry eats up artillery; infantry has the edge on cavalry; and artillery can pound infantry into dust.

Hexes that can be activated for a flank or center attack are a bonus.

Love your dice!
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by sharpe1812.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4753 by tshryock
These tips are all extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone!

Time to create page: 1.223 seconds