Open Tournament 2016 Round 2

More
7 years 5 months ago #3972 by tlangston28
Hi Mark, You have me listed as winning 2 banners as the Allies but I actually won 3 banners. We are playing our 2nd game tonight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3973 by Mark-McG
sorry about that Tony.. now fixed

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
7 years 5 months ago #3977 by sansmerci
Round 2 Game 2
Sansmerci (Prussians) 7 Banners 28 blocks lost
tlangston28 (French) 6 Banners 37 blocks lost

A very long game 3+ hours. The French started off well with a combined arms attack that destroyed the Prussian LT on the hill. After a cavalry charge by the French a bombard counter attack destroyed one French cavalry and damaged the second. A French Elan attack took

out the Prussian GR and evened the banners at 3 each. A cavalry charge by a one block French LC plus the pesky French HA took out another Prussian Art making the banners 5 to 5. A 7 die CA attack got only one hit on the Prussian LN the banners where 6 to 5 Prussians
with many damaged units on both sides. Several command cards where played with each side having opportunities to win. The last came on an Prussian Elan attack that got the 7th banner. Very intense game

More
7 years 5 months ago #3979 by EZPickins
Game 1
EZPickins (French) 7 Banners 17 blocks lost
FrenchricusRex (Prussian) 3 Banners 24 blocks lost

A closer game than it appears. Started off with mostly artillery dueling with two of the French batteries trying to occupy the hills on the left. They got the worst of it and had to pull back out of danger. With two Bayonet Charges in hand the French assaulted the forward Prussian artillery and an infantry unit. The first charge eliminated the infantry and one foot artillery. The Prussian counterattacked but play of Infantry Combat First and a great roll eliminated another full strength line inf. The follow up charge killed another two foot artillery. The Prussians managed to inflict some casualties but in the end the French were able to take the church and get the win.

Game 2
FrenchriconRex (French) 7 Banners 26 blocks lost
EXPickins (Prussian) 5 Banners 24 blocks lost

The French quickly eliminated the LT on the left hill before he could escape. A few turns later the French once again play a Bayonet Charge and eliminate the FA supporting LN in the church which holds on an kills a LN in return. The LN in the church fires on the next turn killing another LN plus Rinaud. Long range fire is exchanged for several turns with one more banner lost by the French but they manage to eliminate the LN in the church and the adjacent GR with Yorck to gain momentum which carries them to victory.

These were two very fun games in spite of Vassal acting up.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrenchricusRex

More
7 years 5 months ago #3980 by FrenchricusRex
Thank you EZ for reporting the second game!

"Rogues, would you live forever?"
"If my soldiers were to begin to think, not one would remain in the ranks." ~Friedrich II

More
7 years 5 months ago #3981 by Mark-McG
Yep, I'll wait for that result before doing the next Round.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3982 by FrenchricusRex
EZPickens wrote it up well. I'll just add my perspective:

OT2016 R2G2

Back in command of the Grande Armee, I was feeling confident (who wouldn't be?), but I knew I had a tough hill to climb due to the prior 3-7 game. I was pretty confident in my ability to beat the Prussians, but less so in my ability to do it as "cheaply" as EZPickens managed to.

Things started off very encouraging, and the Prussian vanguard under Oswald on the French left was knocked out right away. EZ then reordered his line at about mid-field, with blocking the entire "north gate" segment. French assaults on the Church were beaten back at great loss on both sides.

Eventually, the French did force there way into the Church, but losses were extreme, and moral was low (aka, bad cards from here on out). There was a protracted artillery duel, but the fight was out of the French. Although they had inflicted terrible losses on the Prussians, their esprit de corps was all but gone. I would call it a Pyrrhic victory. EZPickens played a great game, and demonstrated masterful hand management on both the offensive and defensive.

"Rogues, would you live forever?"
"If my soldiers were to begin to think, not one would remain in the ranks." ~Friedrich II
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by FrenchricusRex.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3983 by Grondeaux
Round 2 - Game 2 - 412 Lübeck, North Gate (6 November 1806)

TheMP (French) 5
Groundeaux (Prussians) 7

The French opened with an attack on the Prussian right, driving the LT from the hills, then followed up with a Grand Maneuver/Bayonet Charge combo to force the Prussians from the town and all the way back to the north gate. Action then shifted to the center. The French set up a cavalry charge, taking out the Prussian ART. The Prussian GR formed square and were able to withstand the French charge in spite of a Break the Square card. The Prussians then gave the French the Cold Steel and eliminated one LC and mauled the other. A French bayonet charge against St. Gertrude’s Church met with disaster, when their dice turned stone cold, scoring no hits and losing an INF to the Prussian battle-back. The damaged French LC successfully exited the board. The end game saw the French execute another well-planned combined arms attack against a Prussian ART next to the church. Once again, the French powder was soaking wet at a critical time… of 8 dice rolled, there were no hits. The battle back left one of the French INF weakened and it was picked off by the Prussian artillery.

It’s interesting that both Vince and I won our matches playing as the Prussians. This game was notable for some very bad die rolls by the French at critical points.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Grondeaux.

Time to create page: 1.180 seconds