Which Expansion To Get?

More
5 years 11 months ago #2137 by The_Jolly_Cuirassier
Hi! I'm new here, as you can probably tell. I've been playing CC Napoleonics for a couple of months now, and I really love the game. The combination of the history with the simplicity of mechanics and the great amount of fun involved makes it top-notch, in my opinion. I've played through all of the scenarios in the base set, and I'm ready to get one of the expansions. So, I thought I'd try to get some opinions on the various expansions from veteran players.

So, I'm completely opening it up to you experienced players for opinions! First, I need to know if the expansions are consecutive, and you need to buy them in order of their release if you want the later ones to make any sense. If that's the case, then I guess I'll be getting the Spanish expansion. If not, though, then I'd like to hear which expansion you guys like the most. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #2138 by Grondeaux
Replied by Grondeaux on topic Which Expansion To Get?
Welcome to the C&C: Napoleonics crowd!

The expansions are not sequential... once you have the base game, you can add the expansions in any order.

My personal preference is the Austrians, although others may disagree with me. I find both the Spanish and Russians a challenge to play. The Spanish because they are weak troops who easily run away, and the Russians because they usually start the game under-strength and consequently don't last long. I have not played the new Prussian expansion enough to make a judgment on them.

I don't know if you are familiar with this web site and Vassal, but you can look at all the expansions, rules, scenarios and units here. You can also use Vassal to play scenarios from all the expansions without actually owning them. Fly before you buy, if you will. Vassal works well for solo play as well as head-to-head. You can almost always find a willing opponent on Vassal and meet some nice folks.

More
5 years 11 months ago #2142 by Tarheel
Replied by Tarheel on topic Which Expansion To Get?
I vote austrian exp. next id go with russia.

More
5 years 11 months ago #2143 by Michalxo
Replied by Michalxo on topic Which Expansion To Get?
I second/third the statements above. Austrians are slightly better then Russians. In terms of more balanced/interesting scenarios. But eventually, you will get them both :D

I am not sure about Prussians. So far, I have played only 2 PRU scenarios. One was ok, second was naah. Maybe it is just a "bad choice" on current Mini Tournament 12, where are many 4-5 Victory Points scenarios. These tends to get random, so maybe wait a bit more time, when we find out more information about Prussians expansion, in case you have them as target as well.

More
5 years 11 months ago #2144 by Achtung-Panzer
I'd vote for the Austrians as the scenarios are interesting and many have unusual objectives. The Russians have quite a few big battles with 7+ Victory Banners

But my advice is to get all the expansions when you can as they can often become hard to find - such is the popularity of C&C:N!

More
5 years 11 months ago #2147 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Which Expansion To Get?
another vote for the Austrians. The most obdurate foes of Napoleon.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img]

More
5 years 11 months ago #2150 by The_Jolly_Cuirassier
Thanks for all the helpful opinions, guys! It looks like Austria is my best bet, then!

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds

Forum Statistics

• Total Users:824
  • Latest Member:mwitz
  • Total Posts:6666
  • Total Topics:751
  • Total Sections:2
  • Total Categories:14
  • Today Open:0
  • Yesterday Open:0
  • Today Answer:2
  • Yesterday Answer:1

Top Posters

Top Posters Posts
Bayernkini 1103
Mark-McG 913
Tarheel 257
GG 180
TheMP 175

Top Thanks

Top Thanks Thanks
Bayernkini 312
Mark-McG 81
GG 16
Grambo589 14
Grondeaux 13

Random Quote

In war, as in politics, no evil - even if it is permissible under the rules - is excusable unless it is absolutely necessary. Everything beyond that is a crime.~Napoleon