Welcome to the Commands & Colors: Napoleonics !

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

no subject

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3526 by sebringellis
Hi There! was created by sebringellis
I'm Paul from England. I have played CCN since 2010. I play on a 3 inch hex mat using 20mm armies which i have collected and painted since 2010-
-HAT,SHQ,ZVEZDA figures. Now i wish i'd just stayed with the blocks! My games look FANTASTIC. But all that detailed painting and research
took so much time and work! After observing this website and it's forums for six years i've decided to join in. I am a total solo gamer and have lots of
interests and lots of views about lots of things that i won't go into now......

But i will say this....If i had to choose between the CCN Base game and the CCA Base game and i could only have one..Even now that's a hard one for me
to answer.......and what goes on a scone first-the cream or the jam? Well that's easy. The cream always goes on first, then the jam! :lol:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by sebringellis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3527 by Bayernkini
Replied by Bayernkini on topic Hi There!

I am a total solo gamer

What about changing to a "human-opponent" player, then you must not beat you yourself all the time.
And maybe you discover "new" tactics and "mistakes", because ALL the earlier solo players, i meet later online on Vassal, had interpreted and learned some less or some more rules wrong (sometimes completely wrong, so these players had an "another" CC game and was shocked, after i alert them to the right rules).

But finally, welcome, here ;)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3529 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic Hi There!
Paul
Good to meet you. You'll find lots of opponents through this forum/website, and Vassal. It's much more fun playing against others, and you don't have all that set up time, etc, etc when playing across the internet. Just the maps and charts on screen. Some of us prefer to play with Skype as well as it makes it more like playing ftf - far more sociable.

Whereabouts are you from in England? I'm English, from Newcastle, but living about 20kms outside Brussels these days ... and 25 kms from Waterloo :) Vince (The MP), and some others, are also from England and living in the south and south east. They sometimes get together for ftf games as well as Vassal over the internet.

Oh, and a heads up if you like the CCA game as well. There's a Games Expo in Birmingham at the Hilton/NEC at the beginning of June. It's a huge, general gaming festival. 10,000 gamers over the three days, you can find pretty much whatever takes your fancy to play, and it has a Trade Stand area to rival Essen. Now, a mate of mine, Barry Ingram, runs a CCA tournament there on the Sunday in which I've already entered myself. Normally about 16 players playing 4 games during the day.

Anyway, welcome to CCN on the internet. If you get Vassal and fancy a game, just let me know. I'd be happy to help get you started.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3530 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic Hi There!
Totally agree with Bayernkini. As with any game, you won't appreciate all the different tactics, and possibly the rules either, unless you're playing against live opponents. And it can be more sociable as well.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3531 by sebringellis
Replied by sebringellis on topic Hi There!
Well thanks for the welcome guys. I'm a solo gamer, not because i'm anti-social, but because i've never been able to find people to play.And it,s a shame
because i've gots tons of stuff Memoir 44,CNN,CNA,Battlecry, hundreds of painted miniatures-and only i'm enjoying it.I know Richard has said the command and colors system is meant to be enjoyed playing other opponents and i agree i'm not getting the best out of it. Having said that, over the six
years i've played an awful lot of games, carefully analysing what's going on and i've always paid close attention to this site and boardgamegeek.com and
etc so Rule interpretation and tactics wise, i would say i'm fairly sound-But i totally agree about the benefits gained from playing others and i'd like to.
I've never tried playing Vassal. What does ftf games mean? i don't know.The Games Expo sounds cool and yes i'm a huge fan of CCA-don't get me talking
about what i would do if forced to choose between the two.That's hard and i've LOTS to say about that! Could you give me more info about the CAA
tournament and how i could get involved in that maybe next time? By the way i don't have painted armies for CAA-i was tempted but after 6 years of
painting Napoleonics-i just wanna play the game! Lived in London, now live in Yorkshire.Regards everyone

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3532 by Bayernkini
A fast Vassal instruction, more you can find on the Vassal webpage or on BGG too.

www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/fo...e-vassal-module.html

You can always contact me direct on Vassal, if you see me online :)

My dice are the hell!

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3533 by sebringellis
Thanks. Do any players play online but have the physical game set up on both sides, so you both have a command deck and then translate orders on line on to both boards,like say you can do with chess? I presume with Vassal you both share the command deck as normal. Now if that could be done, that would be interersting. Any views on this? You'd have to be totally honest-and not say you threw a dice result of 5 infantry when they were all cannon...
But seriously , if players honestly reported their dice results and card draws to each other-and if both players are using miniatures on bigger boards....
By the way sorry to go on about miniatures, i do love the blocks as well-in their own way they're cool.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3534 by Bayernkini

if both players are using miniatures on bigger boards....
By the way sorry to go on about miniatures, i do love the blocks as well-in their own way they're cool.

You can also use the wooden blocks on bigger boards and they may looks like great then ;)
boardgamegeek.com/image/1661343/commands-colors-napoleonics

and also paper miniatures on original board looks fine ;)
boardgamegeek.com/article/14516748#14516748

My dice are the hell!

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #3535 by sebringellis
Thanks Bayernkini, i did'nt mean to emphasise the aspect of 'customising'- I mean, are you aware of gamers who have tried to play online but each with the physical game and i'ts components in front of them-thus communicating dice rolls and card draws and actions online and then translating this all onto the gameboards-like chess players are able to do.Any thoughts on this?

As i say i've been building and painting Napoleonic 20mm armies over the past 6 years-so i'm resting and i'm very happy to play CCA and it's expansions
with the blocks. I HAVE LOST A LOT OF GAME TIME due to painting,researching-so if anyone is considering 'customising' think carefully.But as you say
there are simpler ways of customising such as paper miniatures etc... But if you are able play CCN with miniatures-it really is great. As a final note you could quickly build up 20mm plastic armies by simply painting each in one national colour- that's still cool-and then detail them in overtime.

More
7 years 11 months ago #3536 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic Hi There!
Where in London are you? SE, NE, NW etc?

Time to create page: 1.081 seconds