OT2020 Round 5

More
3 years 2 months ago #6941 by Mark-McG
OT2020 Round 5 was created by Mark-McG
OT2020 Round 5
As Tournament Director I rarely indulge my whims,...

OT2020 Round 5

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #6942 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic OT2020 Round 5
VASSAL Game save file

File Attachment:

File Name: 111a-Ocana...809.vsav
File Size:31 KB

[img][/img]
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Mark-McG.

More
3 years 2 months ago #6944 by g1ul10
Replied by g1ul10 on topic OT2020 Round 5
Nice. I suggest creating a new fan-made scenario with these modifications. Reporting the result in the original scenario with modified rules will bias the statistics. You could also replace French with Prussian units. This should account for the difference in cavalry strength. Of course, you will write that the units represent French instead.

BGG: g1ul10

More
3 years 2 months ago #6945 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic OT2020 Round 5
Reporting results here shoud be sufficient. I don't think anyone should report against the original scenario, but up to them.
If the tournament results show a good distribution of results, I think there could be some 'official" fan variants made for reporting, and plays could be retrospectively reported.

For the moment, I think we keep it low key and simple.

[img][/img]

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #6949 by RiverWanderer
Replied by RiverWanderer on topic OT2020 Round 5
It might be easier to play Mark's Ocana adaption by removing the unwanted cards from the decks. 
I attach the scenario file that Mark sent out but with those cards removed and decks ready to go.
As a bonus, I've added deck counts, so people can be sure the decks are correct.
For further validation, all removed cards are face up in the hidden deck area (Ctrl+F12 to view).

Mark asked me to post the file here. I hope you find it helpful for your Round 5 games!

File Attachment:

File Name: 111a.2-Oca...809.vsav
File Size:38 KB
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by RiverWanderer.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #6952 by Gileforn
Replied by Gileforn on topic OT2020 Round 5
Firstly, some words about the scenario... This is a real roulette that is not very good for the tournament. Check of luck, not check of the skill. Yes, when you are playing with a player who has less skill it will any works, but when skill is close to be same - only luck. Who will get better command and tactic card, who will throw in the same situation better result - will win.

Game 1

Nemo2333 (French) - 4 banners.
Gileforn (Spain) - 7 banners. 

The start was usual for this map with attack of a lone LC on the French right. Not very good attack, but French starts to build a strong deffence without rushto the Spains. That had helped to form a good army that has taken a chance to win.

Game 2

Nemo2333 (Spain) - 1 banner.
Gileforn (French) - 7 banners.

That was a luck battle with rush attacks. Two times French were luck not to lost artillery and LC with a leader. Than 2 Cavalry Charges by French and result was understandable. Good rolls by French and victory in a strange batlle.

Nemo fought very well, but difficult to do something when opponent had better cards and rolls.

File Attachment:

File Name: OTR5.vlog
File Size:71 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: OTR52.vlog
File Size:53 KB
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Gileforn.

More
3 years 2 months ago #6955 by gotigerssc
Replied by gotigerssc on topic OT2020 Round 5
Game 1

stephent (French) - 4 banners
gotigerssc (Spain) - 7 banners 

The French advanced their LC and HA and were fairly effective in taking out the Spanish LC on my right-center. Luckily, the Spanish HC stepped in and took out the HA to negate any combined arms action. The score after a couple of turns was French 4-Spanish 2. It was all downhill for the French from there and it really came down to card draws. Three Spanish HC and one LC used Cavalry Charge, Take Command Center, and Take Command Any to push the French left flank back to its baseline and claim the final five medals for the win. We both had a run of good rolls at one point or another but the Spanish card combo was too much to overcome. Stephen played well and at the beginning I thought he was going to run away with it. Looking forward to game 2!

File Attachment:

File Name: T20_R5G1_O...ion.vlog
File Size:60 KB

More
3 years 2 months ago #6962 by jfardette
Replied by jfardette on topic OT2020 Round 5
Horses were butchered with glee.

In game 1, Mark launched a cavalry charge with his lights to kick things off, and the French countercharge was a failure.  Slowly the French were able to use their heavies to greater effect, winning the first game 7-4.

Game 1 - French - Jim #7
Game 2 - Spanish - Mark #4

In game two, the French launched the first cavalry charge and had the Spanish on the ropes 6-2, but his next charge took 2 units down to 1 block each but couldn't end the game.  The Spanish used a Line Command Any card and the last of their strength to counterattack the French heavies, killing them both but the leader got away to bring matters to 6-4.  The final French attack killed the last Spaniar for the win, but a Charge if Charged card eliminated the single block French Heavy and his accompanying leader to make the score look more respectable at 7-6 than it actually was.

Game 2 - French - Mark #7
Game 3 - Spanish - Jim #6

Overall, I'd say the changes to the scenario resulted in a much more balanced game so well done on that.
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 months ago #6963 by gotigerssc
Replied by gotigerssc on topic OT2020 Round 5
Game 2

gotigerssc (French) - 7 banners
stephent (Spain) - 6 banners 

I had no business winning this one - although I will reveal my secret at the end of the write up. We went back and forth for a while and I was hand-to-mouth with options for the center the entire game. Albeit five of my six cards - I believe every turn - were exclusively for the right or left flank, but I never played any of them. My first combined arms attack resulted in me losing a HC on the battle back. From there it felt like the momentum changed hands on just about every turn. On my third or fourth turn I threw caution to the wind and ordered a LC and HC behind the Spanish lines. They did some damage along the way and the LC was promptly eliminated, but Paris managed to escape. On my next to last turn I was down 6-4 and played Recon in Force with Leader Bonus Order that gave me a chance at the win. Instead, I eliminated no Spanish units. Spanish had fortunately run out of center cards and played a scout to try and take out my 1 block LC. At this point I went to my secret for success - vigorously rubbing a rabbit's foot and a (well polished) horseshoe at the same time. The attack failed and I drew a Cavalry Charge at the end of the prior turn, which I used to claim three medals for the win.

Really enjoyed playing against Steve and look forward to future matches against him. 

File Attachment:

File Name: OcanaGame2.vlog
File Size:72 KB

More
3 years 2 months ago #6972 by EZPickins
Replied by EZPickins on topic OT2020 Round 5
Game 2
 EZPickins (Spanish) 7 Banners
Maxjoezach (French) 3 Banners

The early turns of the game iwas  series of melees on the Spanish right. Losses were pretty even as the fight shifted to the center for the remainder of the game. I played a Cavalry Charge which succeeded in taking out two units and enabling me to keep the pressure on Doug the rest of the game. Luck seemed pretty even although I rhink i had the  edge in cards. The game was a blast and Doug was an excellent opponent.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.238 seconds