OT 2018 Round 4

More
5 years 2 months ago #5619 by CaptTonio
Replied by CaptTonio on topic OT 2018 Round 4
Darn -- I'm still trying to get the hang of this email system -- this window for typing is WAY too small, and I can't find the attach button to attach the vlog?

/Users/tolmanan/Desktop/Joe v Anton 1.vlog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5620 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic OT 2018 Round 4
On my screen, there is a triangle in the Right bottom corner of the text box I can use to expand the text box space

To add a vLog, you need to edit the initial post, you can't add it in the first instance from the Tournament page, you have to be in the Forum page to add attachments. No idea why that is so.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
5 years 2 months ago #5621 by CaptTonio
Replied by CaptTonio on topic OT 2018 Round 4
Thanks, Mark!

More
5 years 2 months ago #5624 by Stanislav27
Replied by Stanislav27 on topic OT 2018 Round 4
EZPickins (Allies) 3
Stanislav27 (French) 8

All of the casualties and almost all of the action took place on the French right. John's Austrian Grenzer Infantrymen did not distinguish themselves and melted away in the face of concentrated French musketfire. I pressed my luck with a reckless Bayonet Charge, which led to some gains, but also led to an overextension of the French formation. John immediately pounced on my mistake, and the Austrian cavalry brought the Allies back in the fight. John executed a coordinated push towards Telnitz, redeploying infantry support from the centre. However, the French cavalry detachment in the rear galloped across the Goldbach in order to shore up the desperate defence of Telnitz. The French cavalrymen showed great courage and skill, and the Allies' fate was sealed by a thunderous combined arms attack. The final action was a flanking maneuver by one of the French cavalry units, which dispatched a weakened Grenzer unit in the Austrian rear.

The Allies never set foot in Telnitz, and the French won 8-3.

Throughout the battle, John was plagued by very, very poor luck - especially with the dice. I had great tactician cards and probably could have gotten even better use of them. Once the combined Austro-Russian push towards Telnitz began, I was really starting to fear for my situation, as John would have been able to cross the stream unopposed and attack the Sokolnitz positions from two sides. So taking that into account as well as the imbalance in luck, the battle was much closer than the scoreline might suggest.

---

EZPickins (French) 4
Stanislav27 (Allies) 8

The second battle was much longer and waved back and forth.

The Allies took the initiative early, maneuvering on all three sides in order to camouflage where the blow would fall first. The key move came when the Russian centre was blessed by a Forced March (followed up by a second one some turns later). This allowed the great number of infantry to get closer to the French positions. The Russians massed across from Sokolnitz, seeking to soften up the defenders with musket fire while other units crossed the bridge in order to take the two town hexes. At the same time, Light Infantrymen and Grenadiers struck against the French position in front of Telnitz. Meanwhile, the French used accurate fire to repulse probing attacks on their left, while also inflicting damage on the immobile Austrian Grenzers.

However, the main Russian push in the centre was eventually successful, helped by a lucky LC2 kill on Merle. Soon enough, it was 5-1 to the Allies, who held all of Sokolnitz and began massing towards Sokolnitz Castle.

Undeterred by his horrible luck, John devised a careful plan with which to get back in the fight. Helped by a complete drought of Centre-cards for the Russians, John severely weakened several Allied units on both flanks. The damage could have been even more significant if only Fortuna had not abandoned the French almost entirely. Then came a perfectly timed Give Them The Cold Blood with which the French sought to retake Sokolnitz. Using both capable tacticians and sappers, the French were successful in the bitter hand-to-hand fighting on the blood-soaked streets. The Russians then played a completely blank Rally and the French regained control of half of Sokolnitz.

The Russians managed to retake Sokolnitz and the French centre was entirely shattered. So John attempted a very bold Grande Maneuver, pushing the strong units on his right towards the weakened Austrian Grenzers at the Allied rear. The ploy almost worked, but the luck of the dice was again with the Allied, who used their unused cavalry to counter the French assault. John managed to make it 6-4, but then the Allied played a perfectly timed Cavalry Charge, which claimed the 7th victory banner and placed Allied horsemen in range of 3 separate ways with which to ensure the 8th victory banner (one of the Telnitz hexes, a French 1-block unit in square at the Austrian rear line, and a 1-block Light Infantry at the French left rear). This was a threat too many. The French attempted a glorious counterattack on their left, where their brave units had never lost control of Sokolnitz Castle. However, the poor luck persisted, and they did not even manage some conciliatory banners at the very end.

The Allied army held all of Sokolnitz and half of Telnitz at the end of the bloody battle. 8-4 to the Allies.

This was a thrilling battle. John was again cursed by bad dice luck, and there was a lenthy segment, where we both played a bunch of "Probe [Flank]" cards, while a bunch of units sat idle in the centre around Sokolnitz. I was impressed by John's counter-attack (especially the bold one on the right). Without my cavalry charge at the end, I might have been in serious trouble. So thanks for two fun battles, where the luck of the dice was very one-sided indeed. One of those days.

---

File Attachment:

File Name: EzPvsStan.vlog
File Size:82 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: EzPvsStan2.vlog
File Size:87 KB
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #5625 by g1ul10
Replied by g1ul10 on topic OT 2018 Round 4
Game 1
Bangla (French): 4
g1ul10 (Allies): 8

The order of the day for the Allies army was patience. They tried to bring up all their troops as orderly as possible, confident in their numerical superiority. Initially, the main action developed on the French right, where Austro-Russian took casualties, especially from the enemy cavalry, but were also able to inflict some losses. A grand maneuver was instrumental in bringing fresh troops for the continuing assault to Telnitz and also forming a grand battery in the central hills. For a few rounds, the Russians managed to take part of Telnitz but then they lost it to French reinforcements coming from the center. However, the French movement toward their right flank left Sokolnitz guarded by a single LT unit. Thus, the Allies were able to move into the village with two units and despite the bravery displayed by the French soldiers, they kept part of it. The final Allied medal came from a Forced March on the French left sector, that eliminated an exposed French LT. I suppose that unit moved there to scare the Allies and force them to abandon their attack elsewhere. But the Allied general was too sleepy to even notice the trap set for him ;-)

Let me thank Tony for his sportsmanship. I made several mistakes during the game that he corrected with patience and courtesy. This is a scenario in which there is quite a number of things to remember. I don't know if it is because I play Napo too little or the others CC games too much... but there is always some rule I don't get right. Annoying.

File Attachment:

File Name: OT2018R4_b...me2.vlog
File Size:105 KB

BGG: g1ul10
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by g1ul10.

More
5 years 2 months ago #5627 by Gonzo
Replied by Gonzo on topic OT 2018 Round 4
Game 2
Gonzo (French) 8 banners
Captonio (Allies) 1 banner

Russian 2 unit grand battery set up early, but all action on French right. French LN and LC grind up Austrian GRNZ units. Austrian Cav Charge met with multiple French Tac cards and defeated. Neither other flank/center involved in meaningfull way

More
5 years 2 months ago #5628 by Gonzo
Replied by Gonzo on topic OT 2018 Round 4
Game 2
Gonzo (French) 8 banners
Captonio (Allies) 1 banner

Russian 2 unit grand battery set up early, but all action on French right. French LN and LC grind up Austrian GRNZ units. Austrian Cav Charge met with multiple French Tac cards and defeated. Neither other flank/center involved in meaningfull way

Time to create page: 1.133 seconds