Open Tournament 2017 Quarter Finals

More
6 years 2 months ago #5123 by Mark-McG
Scenario: 605 Austerlitz (2 December 1805)...

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #5124 by Gonzo
605 Austerlitz
Gonzo (Allies) 7 banners, 24 blocks lost
Gottoman (French) 4 banners 33 blocks lost
French initial thrust on their right met with withering range fire and fell back without losing a unit. Quiet on that flank for the rest of game. Russian maneuvered units up in the middle and moved Cav up. French cav deployed, then charged killing both Russian guns and inflicting some losses on Russian GLT and 2 GLC. However Allied Cav had moved up and was ready with a CA, killing 3 of 4 French Cav, the other a turn later. That left only Russian Cav. Russian GG assault on their right flank got mixed results and final Russian HC charge in middle got a 1 pt French LN and an art unit for the win. Taught game with inf several times not squaring and holding up to cav charges. Thanks to Gottoman for fun game. Rematch soon.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #5127 by Mark-McG
Quarter Final games
Mark McG vs EZPickens

Game 1
Mark McG (French): 7
EZPickens (Allies): 3

French consolidated and then attacked on the Right. Once that section was cleared, the French switched to the Left. The final showdown was in the centre.

File Attachment:

File Name: OT2017QF1.vlog
File Size:82 KB

Game 2
Mark McG (Allies): 7
EZPickens (French): 2

Russians pushed up the middle and Left, bringing the Russian Guard Heavy Cavalry into action. After some pummelling, the Guard retreated with 1 block left!
Thereafter the Russian infantry bayonet charged and eventually brought things to a conclusion.

File Attachment:

File Name: OT2017QF2.vlog
File Size:62 KB

Games were about 2 hours each, and in both we had cards disappear from my hand (apparently duplicated phantoms). Seems like a VASSAL error.
Dice were spectacularly bad and good, but the distribution seemed even.

[img][/img]
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Mark-McG.

More
6 years 2 months ago #5134 by soul1st
QF game 1 Scenario 605 Austerlitz

Game 1
Bangla (french) 4
Soul1st (allies) 7

After some maneuvering on both sides the allies tried a cavalry probe with no results. After that the french replied with a cavalry charge and destroyed the russian guards. The allies replied with a cavalry charge and took 3 vp's. Shorltly after that the allies managed to kill two more french units and a leader. The french then took the initiative and came back to 6 - 4. After a desperate attempt on the french side the allies won. The allies had lucky dice this game and also some good cards.

I can't find the log file but I have the saved game included. @Tony do you still have the log file?

File Attachment:

File Name: QF1.vsav
File Size:47 KB
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #5136 by Bangla
I've attached it below Twan.

One thing to add is that the French failed in a 9 (!!!) dice attack against Russian Grenadier Guards at the end. I don't think I've ever had a 9-dice attack before.
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #5137 by Bangla
QF Game 2 Scenario 605 Austerlitz

Game 2
Bangla (Allies) 7
Soul1st (French) 2

After some manoeuvring by both sides, one had to make the first attack. It came from the Russians on the French right. The French infantry had advanced too far and they were attacked by cavalry. Two formed square, one lost half its strength and dashed for the woods. Then the cavalry and GG's came again, completely tying up the four units and sentencing them to a slow death.
Gaining in confidence, the GLT on the other flank stuck its neck out which was almost chopped off. But as they French manoeuvred to attack on that flank, the Russians GG's stood firm on the hill and then attacked again, almost destroying the Cuirassiers and sending back the two LN's in the area. As the noose tightened on both flanks the French did pick up a couple of banners, but the Russian attacks were relentless and efficient. A final cavalry attack to the French right centre took out both artillery units and a stray French General and the deed was done.

The Russian CC's and TC's were superb throughout and, coupled with some excellent (ie lucky) dice rolling, meant the French had little chance. The only question was whether the French could eke out 4 or more banners before the inevitable, but it wasn't to be.

A good playing experience though, where we both reminded each other of lc's, etc. Played in a very good spirit, and I look forward to crossing swords with Twan again in the future.
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #5138 by Mark-McG

Bangla wrote: One thing to add is that the French failed in a 9 (!!!) dice attack against Russian Grenadier Guards at the end. I don't think I've ever had a 9-dice attack before.

I suffered a 12 die Cold Steel combined arms attack in our first match vs a 1 block LN unit. He wasn't lucky.
I think my personal best is a 13 die combined arms that involved an attack supported by 3 ART.

[img][/img]

More
6 years 2 months ago #5139 by sansmerci
Game 1
Plainscape Russians 7 Banners
Sansmerci French 5 Banners

Notable actions where the Russian GLT killing a French LT with 4 die all inf. and the mighty Russian GHC taking two banners on a cavalry charge. Todd had good tactics cards and played them well.

Game 2
Sansmerci Russian 7 Banners
Plainscape French 2 Banners

1st kill was a CU getting 4 of 5 inf on a LT after a Leader orders a Fall back had been played. The CU on the Russian right killed the 7th Banner a French one block GHA that CU got 5 of the 7 banners. Thanks to Todd for two good games.
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #5142 by sansmerci
With the Russian GHC and the GHA you can get some big combined arms attacks. I had a 10 die ca against Todd in the second game and his ART survived !! In the first game he had a Cavalry Charge GHC +9 with GHA +4=13 say good bye to two units that time. That GHC is awesome.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #5143 by Mark-McG
GHA with +4? Horse Artillery battle normally on Cav Charge

EDIT: +1 Melee.. ah yes

[img][/img]
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Mark-McG.

Time to create page: 0.825 seconds