Standings after Game 6

PlayerGBFBADIFWINS
Vince Hughes64728+195
Tony Reynolds64035+53
Alan Theobald64037+33
Alan Sawyer63039-93
Wayne Baumber63841-33
Tony Langston63045-151
Alan Sawyer won his 2 Jena games against Wayne 16-11 and therefore MUST sit above him according to tie-breaker rules. With banner difference then counting because the others have not played each other twice, that puts Bangla and Alan.T above Alan.S. But in the end, they all have three points and only when we have all played each other will the final head counts come into play for any ties.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #3723 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Rolling into July and that means Round 7 of this continuing Round Robin League and a revisit to Tamames for everybody in the return leg of this battle that was first played in February's Round 2.

Today was my turn as the French and facing Wayne Baumber once more. The battle was almost exclusively, though not entirely on the French Right/Spanish Left. Nearly all the banners scored were cavalry losses, albeit the first of the game was the Spanish artillery there that found themselves attacked by French light cavalry and eliminated in one roll of 4 dice. This was a useful French start as it meant that the enemy artillery here would not be able now to lay down a game long bombardment of French infantry on that flank. The French cavalry that were succesful here were soon pushed back by a Spanish counter-attack that resulted in a slew of rolled 'flags'.

After this action, it really was about the two cavalry forces fighting for dominance and the French cavalry continuously putting nearby Spanish foot units in square. The French also made sure to throw out some 'tempter' cards to get the Spanish to play out their Guerilla counters. In the end, the French won the cavalry duel and also eliminated a Spanish leader. The end game saw the French use some special cards such as Elan, Fire & Hold and a Bayonet Charge to finish things. Ironically, unlike the rest of the game, this last banner turned out to be an infantry unit and on the other flank to where the battle had raged 90% of the time. Final score, French 8, Spanish 2.
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #3733 by campsawyer
The next game in the tourny had Tony R. taking it 8-5 as the French. Attached is the log file for your enjoyment.
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #3734 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Was expecting to lose this one. Against my better judgement, I started with the "Vince manoeuvre" and went after his artillery with my LC, and also his exposed LN. Chased the LN back to the baseline ok, but my cavalry failed to kill a single block and was soon racing towards my own baseline. The dice definitely started against me, and over the coming turns although I took an early lead through attacking the village, my units across the battlefield seemed brittle and Alan had reduced several units down to 1-block. That they were able to escape to the baseline undoubtedly saved me in th long run. My cards were also relatively poor early on, but my hand did slowly improve. I was conscious throughout though that his guerrilla counter could negate one of those new found "special" cards, so I tried at various times to get him to play it. Over the game Alan had 3 or 4 gurrilla counters so it was a constant theme. In the midgame it felt like we were trading blocks. I was quite happy with that, edging closer towards the 8 needed and staying just ahead.
Eventualy, I went for a concerted attack on my left, managed to get my LT into daylight beyond the hills, and safe from his artillery and GR. Attrition had reduced his artillery over there to 1-block as well. Somehow, I had managed to keep my neck in front, just, but at this point I saw real opportunity to effect a couple of quick kills and set up an unlikely win. Alan countered on the other flank with his HC but that quickly stalled and my battling back was devastating. The dice had definitely turned by this time.
A couple of First Strike cards had kept me in the game, I felt. Also Alan's choice to fire his artillery separately rather than in combined arms probably let me off the hook. I could understand that he was hoping for good dice so he could attack two different units at times, but each time it backfired and my defenders were able to survive.
An enjoyable game, cat and mouse for a while, and one which even halfway through I thought I was going to lose. When I watch it back, I'll definitely choose the solitaire option so I can see which cards we had at the time. And at the end, take a look at all those 1-block Frenchies on the baseline. It could have been so very different!

More
7 years 8 months ago #3748 by tlangston28
Alan T. (Spanish) vs. Tony L. (French) at Tamames - French Win 8-5.

Alan - hope you don't mind, I am attaching the log file on the CCN site here as well.

File Attachment:

File Name: TamamesAlanTonyL.vlog
File Size:55 KB

I think the log file will tell all but to give my perspective on this battle, Alan did have me on the ropes with a well-executed cavalry charge forcing me into 3 squares at one point though a first strike early mitigated what could have been an epic disaster for the French. The 3 cards taken were Cavalry Charge, LGM and Rally, fairly decent cards to not have available. My squares were able to hold and in the ensuing turns, I had no flank cards to use but was lucky enough to get cards that would allow me to chip away at the Cavalry trying to pin me down (Fire and Hold, Forced March). while playing these cards, I was able to draw Elan, another Cavalry Charge and a Bayonet charge. Once the initial Spanish assault was blunted, I was slowly able to pick away from the pinning forces until I was able to finally come out of squares (or being eliminated in one units case) and play the back-to-back Cavalry charge and culminating in the Bayonet charge to win the game.

To be honest, I was sweating it out as I was down to 3 command cards and felt that eventually, the Spanish would destroy those square units and put me in a bind. I think what kept me from losing my nerve was that I had those good cards in square and if I could ease the tension, I would be able to turn it. At one point, I believe I was causing more casualties with flags than hits! As he did point out, not getting guerrilla counters did probably allow me to win the attrition battle on the French left.

In spite of all that, I think that Alan played a well-conceived game and the loss can be attributed more to the opportunities I had and the lack of guerrilla counters that he was able to collect.
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #3752 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Standings after Game 7

PlayerGBFBADIFWINS
Vince Hughes75530+256
Tony Reynolds74840+84
Alan Theobald7454503
Alan Sawyer73547-123
Wayne Baumber74049-93
Tony Langston73850-122

August will see the games switch back to the return legs of the Austrian Eggmuhl scenario. All to play for with 3 rounds left.

More
7 years 7 months ago #3778 by AlanTheo
Replied by AlanTheo on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Result was a win for Tony L (French) at 8 - 5.

Thought I should post my version of the battle.

In summary it appeared to be an even contest with no clear winner until the final few cards.

The Spanish cavalry dictated the early proceeding's on their left flank which resulted in 3 French squares forming that limited Tony's strategy choice.

The reverse was seen later in the contest as the French cavalry got to work on the same flank aided by 2 cavalry charges in succession and followed up by a French bayonet charge.With 2 squares formed and no left flank cards in my hand I couldn't stop the onslaught.

My only frustration was that I never had the opportunity to obtain additional guerrilla counters which would have altered the course of the game in some way. I think Tony must have taken them all out of the pack when I was on a toilet break.

I thought I had played a good game and so many congratulations to Tony who hung in while under pressure in square and then countered superbly to take the win.

More
7 years 7 months ago #3783 by campsawyer
Here is the log file for Eggmuhl between Alan T. and Alan S. Quite the long game, just logging 3 hrs of battling. It was quite back an forth in the game right until the end. Alan T. did a good just holding the ground and counterattacking when I as the French did not have good cards to respond. For those watching we had a couple of card malfunctions that required a series of undues to make up for it, so you may see cards going back and forth. As for the play, many decisions for cards played, a couple missed opportunities that I am sure would be played differently by others, but all in Alan and I had quite the battle with this one. Enjoy.
Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #3784 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Enjoyed watching this one. How many times do you get to discard a 2-2-2 on a Scout card draw choice ... or a Counterattack? Amazing.

That Austrian unit had a couple of very lucky rolls early on in the centre. Going in for mêlée was very risky, but the Austrian got away with it. Interesting opening manoeuvres too by the Austrian to get the LC across. Certainly made for a more balanced defence. Hopefully, my Austrians will fare as well tomorrow against Vince, and can even go for the late sneaky win too.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #3786 by AlanTheo
Replied by AlanTheo on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Good game today and I was pleased that the Austrians put up a good fight and gained a little satisfaction in coming out on top in the head to head duel.

Alan S does pull away from me in the table as I am still stuck on 3 wins and Alan moves up to 4.

The 4 command cards is a tough ask against 6 French cards and in the end too many casualties lost per each unit meant I had to go very defensive at about 6-6. With the weak units it was just a matter of time before the French finished the battle unless I could get lucky with a game changing command card. It didn't come.
The other factor that really hits the Austrian gameplay hard is with the limits on the Austrian Line movement on Force March and Bayonet Charge. I had both cards during the game but only moving 1 space couldn't do any damage.

Highlight for me was the cavalry charge and taking out two cuirassiers.

I had actually pre-planned to move more LC away from the right flank which would have been a risk weakening the cover there but never had the card to complete my master plan.
If I had drawn La Grand Manoeuvre card you may have seen my plan in action!

Congratulations Alan S.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by AlanTheo. Reason: Punctuation errors

Time to create page: 0.828 seconds