The CACCN Tournament 2016

More
8 years 1 week ago #3396 by wayneb
Replied by wayneb on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
A very quick report from my match with Tony. The French attack opened in the centre on General "Justin" Bieber units, this resulted in the unit retreating with losses and more importantly the young Austrian general being killed by the first volley of the battle. This set the tone for the game, in the next few turns I used the three scout cards in my hand to pick up a "First Strike" an "Elan" and a second cavalry charge card, these combined with what I had already in my hand ensured that all the action would be on the French left.
Having used a Short supply card to put the Austrian Foot Artillery back to the rear I launched the cuirassier's and swept over the hill to engage the enemy light cavalry and horse artillery, this soon resulted in the destruction of two light cavalry units and all the Austrian artillery and with a 5-1 advantage in banners to the French. More importantly I could exit all three cuirassier units of the boards next turn for a famous win. However Tony launched a bayonet charge against the heavy cavalry, who were obviously slightly blown after their previous exertions. This counterattack resulted in the elimination of two units and a very nervy finish to the game. Luckily the surviving cuirassier unit regathered their elan and swept the remaining Austrian light cavalry off the board along with their unfortunate leader and cantered off the board to gain my first victory of the tournament.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #3397 by tlangston28
Wayne (French) vs. Tony L (Austrians) - Battle of the Basement final March Battle

French Win: 8 - 5

I am attaching the log file to this message so I will just highlight the battle.

File Attachment:

File Name: WayneTony_...uhl.vlog
File Size:41 KB

My plan if the cards were right were to get the HA unit close and the 2 GRZ units in the center up as quick as I could to get their 5 dice firing into play. Wayne started the blood fest by firing at the Bieber-led line units in the center, scoring one hit but killing the leader on the first turn. After some maneuvering and volleys, the Austrians managed to take revenge on the Bieber killing by eliminating a line unit on the right with a LC attack to square a line unit followed by a volley which eliminated them. At 1-1, the situation was decent for the Austrians but having seen and read the other reports, I knew it was an eventuality that the French strength would be brought to bear. As it played out, Wayne was able to conduct 2 Cavalry Charges on their left, the first causing a casualty but the second causing mass devastation as 3 more casualties were inflicted, leaving the game at 5-1 with 3 CU units poised to dash off the board to make it a wipe out. At that point, the only card worth playing was a Bayonet Charge and luckily, there were 3 Austrian LN units within 1 hex movement to charge the CU, actually forcing one to stay as he couldn't retire and reform. That charge took 2 CU units and breathed life back into the Austrians. The battle moved to the center as volleys were exchanged and melees were conducted and repulsed, resulting in the game being tied 5-5. Then the lone CU unit on the left acted and destroyed a unit of LC and their leader on the edge, leading to a 7-5 margin, with the cavalry breakthrough moving that CU unit off the board for the win.

In all, a well fought battle which I enjoyed, even though I am now owner of the basement.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wayneb

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #3398 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
8-5 as a loss and with a return match in August a handy score Tony. Especially the way Wayne has written up the opening of the battle. It looked as if he was on for an 8-1, so well done on the comeback!
I will send the League table to you and you can supplant it here if you'd be so kind in the correct format that I struggle with.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by TheMP.

More
8 years 1 week ago #3399 by tlangston28
Yes, Vince. After the Cavalry Charges, I was almost despondent. I had 3 cards that would not allow me to do anything there and only the Bayonet charge with the Austrian turtles. Luckily, forcing a few of Austrian LN units to retreat put them in the perfect position to mount the counter attack.

If you can, take a look at the log, the battle was fairly interesting once the wipe-out was avoided.

Looking forward to the next one.

More
8 years 1 week ago #3400 by campsawyer
Will there be a log file posted shortly?

More
8 years 1 week ago #3401 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
It's already there Alan. Two messages before yours (I think).

More
8 years 1 week ago #3402 by campsawyer
Thanks Tony R. That teaches me you just read the email preview.

Tony L. How was this saved as I am having trouble opening it. Did you play with the 2.55 version?

More
8 years 1 week ago #3403 by campsawyer
Never mind. Seems that when I download it changes it to a zip file instead of a log file. Simple extension name change fixed it.

More
8 years 1 week ago #3404 by campsawyer
Just finished the reply. Quite the win for you Wayne, two leader kills and the short supply really put Tony L. on the defensive, but that was a brilliant Bayonet Charge right when you needed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wayneb

More
8 years 1 week ago #3405 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Alan,

Send me an idiots guide to view the logfile. Everytime I click the link it goes into 3.01 and all the blocks and cards are skewed on the board and in the wrong places. :(

Time to create page: 1.177 seconds