The CACCN Tournament 2016

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #3192 by TheMP
Replied by TheMP on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Correct Alan. The game appeared to be very much in the balance almost right through. Unbeknownst to me of course was Tony was struggling to be able to use resources where he needed in the end as the Prussians only get 4 cards.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by TheMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #3193 by TheMP
Exactly right Alan. As I of course can not see his hand, I was unable to see that Tony eventually began to be forced to struggle with only 4 cards. This was hindering his ability to react where he would have liked. So when the end came it was very fast compared to the gaining of the first 3 banners.

More
8 years 3 months ago #3194 by campsawyer

TheMP wrote: Correct Alan. The game appeared to be very much in the balance almost right through. Unbeknownst to me of course was Tony was struggling to be able to use resources where he needed in the end as the Prussians only get 4 cards.

I was noticing that the Prussians are restricted with cards and if they get bad ones the French will have a good chance at winning. They do hold the better ground but there are more French than Prussian. It will be interesting on Saturday.

More
8 years 3 months ago #3195 by TheMP
I shall hopefully be tuning in :-)

More
8 years 2 months ago #3201 by tlangston28
Jena 1806 Early Morning - The Prussian Version

With 4 cards to the French 6, this was going to be tough going. And from the beginning, it started out badly, losing 3 banners in 2-3 turns due to French aggression on the left flank. However, a very heroic Light Infantry unit moved to garrison Cospeda and was able to withstand numerous assaults from French cavalry and line infantry. This rock of defense enabled the Prussians to attempt to counter-attack. Initially, the thrust in the center did allow the Prussians to get several banners, including an incredible defense by a Prussian infantry unit on charging French Cuirassiers on the left. However, the draw of the cards was not kind to to Prussians (except for the 2 First Strikes - :evil: ) as I kept getting Center cards, leaving me to use Bayonet and Cavalry Charge cards to try and force some additional casualties on the invading French. With my options limited, in addition to two blunders which I committed, the French eventually were able to break the Prussian line and win the day.

The two blunders, if you are interested, were playing a Fire and Hold card when all units except one were out of range and then playing a Cavalry charge and not destroying the reduced Guards Foot Artillery unit but trying instead to attack a full-strength Line Infantry unit to prevent a French assault on Closewitz. In retrospect, I think that the Prussians have a good chance at this scenario if they are able to get a good set of command cards to react to the French play, though i think French numbers (in cards and troops) will ultimately win the day.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3211 by campsawyer
The second game of the Jena scenario featured Wayne as the French and Alan S. as the Prussians. After a couple of card plays of maneuvering the French began and attack on the left to capture the town of Cospeda and set up for attacks on the Prussian artillery. Fortunately, for the Prussians the firepower of the French infantry and artillery only resulted in a single block loss on the artillery and Prussian infantry support prevented it yielding the hill. Focus changed the the center where the French maneuvered to attack the town of Closewitz. The Prussians held the cards for the center with several ranged attacks eliminated three units and slowed the French attack. But the French had massed their artillery and began to chip away at the town while their right flank started to attack. Daring French horse artillery advanced up to engage there Prussian counter parts before retreating under fire. The Prussians looked to mass a cavalry charge but the French beat them to it and wiped out the Prussian horse artillery. The Prussians looking for vengeance charged the French cuirassiers, but the change faded and the cuirassiers survived and with the help of their light cavalry wiped out the Prussian horsemen. Looking to press their attack the French are counter charged by Prussian light cavalry and the cuirassiers as wiped out as well as there leader, Guyots. A French counter charge eliminated the Prussian light's and press a light infantry unit into square, but the French light cavalry attacks make no progress against them.

The Prussians, sensing a victory close at hand with just 2 banners left capture, launch a bayonet charge at two weakened French units. The first a French light cavalry on the Prussian left is the target of an attack by a grenadier and line unit. The cavalry escapes the fight and the focus turns to a lone French line unit that a Prussian line unit races out of town to attack. Although in woods, the French line was quickly defeated, leaving just one banner for the game. The French look to whittle down the Prussians, but a second bayonet charge dispatches the lone French light cavalry unit on the Prussian left to win the scenario for the Prussians.

The final banner count was Prussian 8, French 5. For the French, they seemed to struggle with the cards and some of the dice rolls, while the Prussians had just the right mix of cards, mainly center attacks and specials to keep up a good volume of fire. French cavalry outmatched the Prussians, but the Prussian muskets and rifles were on target for the day. Good game Wayne look forward to the reverse play in June.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by campsawyer.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3212 by wayneb
Replied by wayneb on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
Thank you Alan for your report, I do not intend to go over the same ground. I did not really want to get into a protracted fight over the centre but the cards dealt kind of forced my hand. Losing those three units in that fire fight made it an uphill struggle for the rest of the game. No matter looking forward to the rematch and the rest of the games in the tournament. I also liked the comments and observations from the two onlookers, good banter chaps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: campsawyer

More
8 years 2 months ago #3213 by TheMP
If the 70% French win ratio is anything to judge this scenario by in its 19 plays so far, then you have had an early 'big' win in the tournament.
The following user(s) said Thank You: campsawyer

More
8 years 2 months ago #3239 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
The third and final January match-up will be fought out at 0800 GMT on 30 January. My French will take on Alan Theo's Prussians. He's beaten me in our previous two encounters, so I owe him one in this tournament opener.

More
8 years 1 month ago #3244 by Bangla
Replied by Bangla on topic The CACCN Tournament 2016
A first tournament game for the both of us. The scenario is rather unbalanced, as was the historical fight, and already having a 6-4 card advantage and the better troops was a good start for me as the French. But then, drawing First Strike, Bayonet Charge, Short Supply, Elan and and Counterattack from the off gave me a further advantage. With a seemingly open choice of attack, I went for the weaker Prussian right, looking to gain Cospeda early and put his meagre troops there to flight. The early exchanges went well when the Prussian failed to roll Infantry symbols when he needed them after an aggressive bayonet charge, and I rolled them aplenty to knock out his Line and Light Infantry early with a counterattack and then drive his cavalry and Grenadiers to the rear. Putting his artillery in Short Supply there had already taken away that threat, so the French infantry could attack with relative impunity.
The battle then switched to the centre and right flank. When the Prussian used an order to bring his left wing cavalry across to the centre, the stage was set for a Cavalry Charge counterattack, which he duly delivered with his LC. This forced two French infantry units on their way towards Luteroda into square, evening up the card count and halting the immediate threat there. But after that charge the French cavalry and horse artillery on their right flank were able, with another counterattack card, to attack the curassiers left behind and eliminate them. The resulting breakthrough allowed the French LC to get to the rear of the Prussian A and take them out in one fell swoop. A disaster for the Prussians, brought on in no small way by the French dice rolling which held up throughout the contest.
By now the contest was over, and it was really just a matter of the French gaining two more banners and trying to restrict the Prussians to gaining any more. Artillery pressure on Closewitz and some flanking light infantry in the woods kept up the pressure in the centre, and whilst attention was focussed there and the Prussian withdrew his depleted infantry behind the villages, the French attacked and eliminated one of the Prussian cavalry units around Cospeda where they had been keeping the infantry in square. A final throw of the dice with a bombard card failed for the Prussians, and by not re-occupying one of the village hexes in Lutzeroda or Closewitz, handed the temporary banner to the French, and with it an 8-2 victory.
For sure, Alan was on the back foot from the start due to the hand I drew and the early exchanges where his dice rolling was atrocious and mine far, far better for me. The Prussian objective here is damage limitation and trying to eek out banners in exchanges around the villages. But the way this battle began that became almost impossible for the Prussian.

Time to create page: 0.784 seconds