- 1 Medieval Core Rule Book and 19 medieval battle scenarios
- 1 Oversize Mounted Battlefield game board (11 hexes deep by 13 hexes wide)
- 4 Punchboard Sheets containing:
- 45 double-sided Terrain Tiles,
- 18 Victory Banner Tokens
- 14 Inspired Action tokens
- 12 Bow/Non-Bow Weapon markers
- 65 Medieval Command cards
- 8 Battle dice
- 2 Unit Reference Sheets
- 2 Inspired Action Reference Sheets
- 5 Block Label sheets
- 330 blocks (including spares): Purple Byzantine/Rome Empire units, Tan Sassanid Persians/Hun units comprising:
- 148 small purple and tan blocks for foot units
- 168 Medium purple and tan blocks for cavalry units
- 14 rectangular purple and tan blocks for Leaders
- All foot infantry blocks are 16x16x8mm in size.
- All mounted cavalry blocks are 21x21x8mm in size.
- All Leader blocks are 21x26x8mm in size and are placed so the 26mm edge runs vertically
The battlefield game board (hereafter referred to as the battlefield) is a hex grid, 13 hexes wide by 11 hexes deep. The battlefield is divided into three Sections by two dotted lines, giving each player a left flank Section, a center Section and a right flank Section.
Where the dotted line cuts through a hex, the hex is considered to be part of both the flank Section and the center Section.
Note: Left Flank Section, Center Section and Right Flank Section will often simply be denoted as Section or Sections in these rules.
These tiles represent a wide range of terrain features and are placed on the battlefield to recreate the historical battlefield for each scenario, see “Terrain” rules section.
Units may only move or battle when given an order. Command cards are used to order a player’s troops to move, battle, or do something special. For a description of all the Command cards, see “Command card” rules section.
The game includes eight custom dice with one of the following six images laser-printed on each face.
Units, Leaders, and Blocks
A unit is composed of a certain number of blocks:
All Light Bow, Auxilia, Warrior, Medium and Heavy Infantry units are composed of four small size blocks.
► Mounted Units
All Light Cavalry, Light Bow Cavalry, Medium Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, and Super Heavy Cataphract Cavalry units are composed of four Medium size blocks.
- Any Leader is not a unit.
- A Leader is represented by one rectangular block.
Unit Symbols and Colors
To help identify a unit’s type, colored symbols have been placed on each label.
- Green circle: Light Bow Infantry, Light Cavalry, Light Bow Cavalry
- Green circle with white border: Auxilia Infantry
- Blue symbol: Medium Infantry, Medium Cavalry
- Blue symbol with white border: Warrior Infantry
- Red symbol: Heavy Infantry, Heavy Cavalry
- Red symbol with white border: Super Heavy Cataphract Cavalry
The 18 Victory Banners are used to track a player’s quest for victory.
Bow/Non-Bow Weapon markers
In a few scenarios in this core game, a player’s army will have cavalry units where some cavalry units are armed with bows and some not. How units are armed is detailed in the scenario special rules and is also indicated by block lettering on the scenario map. A player can place a marker with the proper side face up, bow or non-bow, on these units to help keep track which cavalry units have bow weapons and which do not. Note: When all cavalry class units in an army are armed with the bows, there really is no need to place markers.
Unit Reference Sheet
The unit reference sheet is provided that summarizes the characteristics of the units and leaders.
Applying the Stickers from the Label Sheets:
Apply appropriate unit stickers to the front and back of the blocks for each unit. Place the Byzantine/Rome Empire unit stickers on the purple blocks and Sassanid Persians/Hun unit stickers on the tan blocks. We suggest separating the blocks by color, then sort blocks by size. Start with the Byzantine/Rome Empire units. Pull out 12 small purple blocks. Find the Byzantine/Rome Empire Light Bow Infantry stickers on sheet 3 of 5. Peel and place a sticker on the front and back of the 12 small purple blocks. When you run out of the 12 blocks, move on to the Byzantine/Rome Empire Auxilia Infantry. Pull out 16 small purple blocks. Find the Byzantine/Rome Empire Auxilia Infantry stickers on sheet 3 of 5. Peel and place stickers on the front and back of the 16 small purple blocks. When you run out of 16 blocks, move on to the Byzantine/Rome Empire Warrior Infantry units that need 24 blocks. Keep going in this fashion until all the Byzantine/Rome Empire units are completed. Then move on to the Sassanid Persian/Hun units and tan blocks. It will take a little time, but it will be worth the effort!
A few extra blocks and stickers are supplied as spares.
►Inspired Action Reference Sheet and Inspired Action Tokens
Each medieval army has an Inspired Action Reference Sheet.
Some Inspired Actions may vary by army and may even change over time. When a “Leadership” Command card is played on a turn, the player may choose to spend one Inspired Action token and elect to have the units that are ordered by the Leadership Command card perform one of the Inspired Leadership Actions as listed on the army inspired reference sheet, see “Inspired Actions” rules section.
There are also is a list of Battlefield Actions that can be called upon by a player during a player’s turn or the opponent’s turn. These battlefield actions are not tied to the play of a Leadership Command card. A player just spends one Inspired Action token to have one of his units or Leaders perform a battlefield action on the list.