MD01 First Bull Run EPIC - July 21, 1861
First Bull Run EPIC
July 21, 1861
The Confederates occupied a defensive position along the southern bank of a meandering river called Bull Run.
With the bulk of his forces on his right, Beauregard planned to attack the Union left flank, but a little after sunrise on July 21, Union artillery was heard to the North. McDowell had moved first.
With three divisions, McDowell crossed at Sudley Ford and was pushing the only Confederate brigade on the left flank back, before Bee, Bartow, and Jackson marched to its support. At about 2 p.m., the Confederate line reformed along the reverse slope of Henry House Hill, with Jackson in command. Bee, encouraged by Jackson, shouted to the men in his command, “Look! There is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!”
Thereafter, Jackson was known as “Stonewall Jackson” and his troops as the “Stonewall Brigade.”
The Union attack was halted, and a bitter struggle ensued for control of the hill. With the arrival of fresh troops, the Confederate line began to gain the upper hand and the Union forces withdrew. The Confederates had won the first major engagement of the Civil War.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Take 12 Command Cards
You move first
Pierre G. T. Beauregard
Take 12 Command Cards
Modified Epic Rules
1. You may play one ARMY card or 1-3 field cards.
2. Counter Attack may be counter an played ARMY or Field card of your opponent.
3. Some field cards, which allows you order units in 2 or 3 sections, counts as 2 or 3 played cards.
These cards are noticed as Field 2 or Field 3 cards.
4. Each section may get only a field card.
5. After turn, you may draw 2 cards (observe hand limit)
6. If you play at least one Scout card, you may draw 3 cards and keep 2 (observe limit of hands)
7. A field commanders, which get no card, are allowed to make a INI roll. Roll one die and order a unit, which symbol is shown.
A flag forces one of your units to retreat. If a XSW is rolled, one unit loose one figure.
Modified Tactic Cards:
- Assault: up to 6 units in section
- Force March: up to 6 units in section
- Rally: Roll 1 die for each command card you hold (including the played rally). For all symbols, a block of this unit symbol is
recovered, in any/different section(s).