PJ02 - Breakthrough at Tuyuti - 24 May 1866
PJ02 - Breakthrough at Tuyuti
24 May 1866
The bloodiest battle ever fought in South America took place on the marshy plain of Tuyuti in southwest Paraguay. The Paraguayans launched a surprise attack in three columns against the invading Allied armies of Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay.
When the attack began, the Allied center began to be pushed back. However, Col. Emilio Mallet had ordered the construction of a large moat in front of his artillery pieces. When the Paraguayan onslaught reached it, they were halted in grapeshot range. They tried to circle around but were stopped by Antonio Sampaio’s 3rd Infantry Division. When Osório ordered his reserves to attack, the Paraguayans in the center were repelled.
First Tuyuti, Latin America’s Waterloo 24 May 1866 On the Allied left, the Paraguayans forced back the few Brazilian defenders.
Osório reinforced the Brazilian lines with various units, finally committing General Mena Barreto’s 2nd Cavalry Division. Nevertheless, the valiant Paraguayans, unwilling to surrender, pressed the attack and were soon annihilated. In the Argentine sector on the right, the Paraguayan cavalry under Gen. Resquin routed the Argentine cavalry, though this small victory was not enough to shift the outcome of the battle.
After four vicious hours of battle, both sides had taken enormous casualties, but the Paraguayans had taken the worst of it. Their army was destroyed.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
• José E. Díaz
• 6 command cards
• You move first.
Triple Alliance Army
• Bartolomé Mitre / Manuel Luis Osório / Venancio Flores
• 4 command cards
• Each time the discard pile is reshuffled, the Allied Player gains a Flag token.
• Marsh Tiles; Use the river rules for it
• Woods: Blocks line of sight. Cavalry and artillery moving in must stop and may not battle that turn. Infantry moving in must stop and may battle with 1 fewer die that turn. Units battling into woods roll 1 fewer die.
• Jungle: Blocks line of sight. Units moving in must stop and may battle if they moved no more than one hex that turn. Units battling into a jungle roll 1 fewer die.
• Water/Lakes: Does not block line of sight. Units moving in must stop. Units in water may not battle. Units moving out may move only one hex and may not battle that turn.
• When playing a Scout card, you may move 2 additional units on the same flank. These units may not battle.
• When playing a Probe card, you may move 1 additional unit on the same flank. This unit may not battle.