02. CONTENTS (Base Game)
Contents of the Board
1 Battlefield Gameboard
3 Sheets containing 45 double-sided Terrain Tiles
60 Command cards
7 Battle dice
5 Block and Dice Label sheets
2 Reference Cards
1 Comprehensive Series Rule Book
1 Scenario Book containing 15 battle scenarios
345 Blocks: gray Roman units, dark brown Carthaginian units and Black Victory Banners, comprising:
220 small gray and dark brown blocks for foot units (there will be a few spare blocks of this size)
16 small black blocks for Victory Banners
81 medium gray and dark brown blocks for cavalry units
12 large gray and dark brown blocks for elephant units
16 rectangular gray and dark brown blocks for leaders and chariot units
The battlefield gameboard (hereafter referred to as the battlefield) is a hex grid, 13 hexes wide by 9 hexes deep. The battlefield is divided into three sections by two dotted lines, giving each player a left flank section, a center section and a right flank section. Where the dotted line cuts through a hex, the hex is considered to be part of both the flank section and the center section.
These represent a wide range of terrain features and are placed on the battlefield to recreate the historical battlefield for each scenario. They are explained in detail later in the rules.
Units may only move or battle when given an order. Command cards are used to order your troops to move, battle or do something special. For a description of all the Command cards, see section 18.
Each battle die has six blank indented sides requiring stickers. Each die should have the following stickers placed on its indented faces: one Light (green circle), one Medium (blue triangle), one Heavy (red square), one Leader (helmet symbol), one Banner (flag symbol), and one Crossed Swords symbol. There is one set of spare dice stickers.
Units, Leaders, and Blocks
A unit is composed of a certain number of blocks:
• Foot Units:
- All Light, Light Bow, Light Slinger, Auxilia, Warrior, Medium and Heavy Infantry units are composed of four small size blocks.
- All Light and Heavy War Machine units are composed of two small size blocks.
• Mounted units:
- All Light Cavalry, Light Bow Cavalry, Medium Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Camel units are composed of three medium size blocks.
- All Elephant units are composed of two large size blocks.
- All Light or Heavy Chariot units are composed of two rectangular blocks.
- Barbarian chariot units are composed of three rectangular blocks
- A Leader is not a unit. A Leader is represented by one rectangular block.
Example of a Foot unit (4 blocks) and a cavalry unit (3 blocks).
In describing the core of the system, these rules will make reference to some units, such as light bow cavalry, which are not included in this box, but will appear in expansions.
Apply the Victory Banner labels to only one side of the small black blocks
Unit Symbols and Colors
To help identify a unit’s type, colored symbols have been placed on each label.
- Green circle: light infantry, light sling infantry, light bow infantry, light cavalry, light bow cavalry, light war machine.
- Green circle with white border: auxilia infantry, light barbarian chariot.
- Blue symbol: medium infantry, medium cavalry, camel.
- Blue symbol with white border: warrior infantry, cataphract camel.
- Red symbol: heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, heavy chariot, elephant, heavy war machine.
- Red symbol with white border: heavy cataphracted cavalry.