612 Amphipolis (422 BC)
In 424 BC, the Spartan general Brasidas led an army toward Thrace to threaten the only accessible part of the Athenian Empire. He reached Thrace and offered generous terms to the people of Amphipolis, who surrendered without a fight. In 423 BC, Athens and Sparta signed a truce, hoping to exchange Amphipolis for the Spartan hostages of Sphacteria, but Brasidas, against the wishes of the Spartan regime, continued to support the rebellion in the area. Athens ended the truce and sent Cleon with an army to recover Amphipolis. Brasidas would not emerge from the city for battle. Frustrated by the apparent Spartan timidity, Cleon began to move his troops back to Eion. Brasidas waited till the Athenian left wing marched past the South Gate, and with his best men charged out of the city, while Clearidas, his subordinate, emerged from the Thracian Gate with the rest of the Spartan army. The Athenians on the left wing fled to Eion, while those on the right fought bravely against Clearidas. Cleon was killed during the battle, and Brasidas mortally wounded. Athens agreed to stop the war and signed the Peace of Nicias in 421 BC. Sparta recovered their hostages and Athens the towns captured by Brasidas. Both sides would have time to prepare for the final phase of the war.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
Athenian Army (Use Greek light blue blocks)
• Leader: Cleon
• 5 Command Cards
Spartan Army (Use Spartan orange and bronze Hoplite blocks)
• Leader: Brasidas
• 6 Command Cards
• Move First
• The Athenian player will collect one Victory Banner for each unit that exits the battlefield from an exit hex as indicated. The unit that exits is removed from play.
• The Hoplite Infantry rule is in effect.
• Five Spartan units are special bronze five block MH units.
• Amphipolis is a Fortified Walled City. The city walls are impassable except at the city gates.
• The River Strymon is impassable except at the bridge.