105 Mantinea (362 BC)

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #36 by alecrespi
** This thread discusses the Content article: 105 Mantinea (362 BC) **

Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Alessandro Crespi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #875 by Tuscan-Centurion
Played this last night with Master Chief. I was Theban and he was the Spartans. Here's an AAR on the game.
An interesting smaller scenario that produced an intriguing game. Theban started with "Mounted Charge" by the 3 medium cav that targeted the 2 Spartan Light infantry. Hoped to pick up 2 quick banners. The result was 2 eliminated blocks for the Spartan infantry and a one block loss for the Theban horse. A quick counter, "Order 4 Units Left" by the Spartans had 1 Theban medium cav eliminated (0-1). Second turn had the Thebans pressing their cav attack against the light inf which eliminated it and evened the score (1-1). Then a number of turns was spent by both sides pulling back forward units and manoeuvring their troops into lines for a big push. Each side made the odd Ranged attack or small CC that raised the score to 2-2. The Spartans pulled back their whole line and waited while the Thebans slowly edged forward. Then a 'Line Command' card advanced the whole Theban line that pitched it into CC with half of the Spartan line. It cost the Spartan a light and a medium unit along with a leader (double helmets on the ldr casualty DR) and it was 5-2 to the Thebans. The Spartan then thought for a while to play 'Counterattack' and advanced what was left of their phalanx (2 heavies each with a leader and 2 mediums) at the Theban line. Took out the 3 Theban heavies to even the score (5-5). The Theban ldr managed to survive all this and it finally came down to an 'Order 2 units Left' card from the Theban to try and take out the last block from a Spartan heavy unit that survived the previous carnage. The Light infantry missed with their spears so the one remaining Theban Med cav charged and rolled a red square (and a sword) to take the game by the narrowest of margins (6-5). Cannot ask for better than that.
B)

More
13 years 8 months ago #880 by MasterChief
This was a lot of fun. It was very interesting how the middle game was just positioning and recovering from the little opening gambits. I don't think any of my games so far have had such a long period of positioning.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1437 by SimSportPlyr
Replied by SimSportPlyr on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
When I do a browser Save Image As on the map, I get a 78KB file, which is low res.
Is there a way to get a higher res version of the map and/or a unit type list?
Thanks,
Ralph

More
8 years 1 month ago #1512 by alecrespi
Replied by alecrespi on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
Hi SimSportPlyr,
I'm sorry for the late reply.
I've just uploaded a bigger quality map picture.
What do you think about it?
Sadly all pictures have to be exported manually (1 by 1) to higher quality and then bulk updated on website.
If you guys think it's worth the pain... I'll plan this update for the months to come.
Let me know.
Regards
Ale

More
8 years 1 month ago #1513 by SimSportPlyr
Replied by SimSportPlyr on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
Ale -
I much prefer the higher-quality image. Thank you so much!
I cannot say whether it is worth the effort to upload other, higher-res images, since it's not my effort.
Regards,
Ralph

More
5 years 3 months ago #2794 by GF1954
Replied by GF1954 on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
2 solitaire games with the Spartans winning both 6 -3, and 6 -0. While the first game was fairly even, the second was a complete rout. The Spartan right flank completely dominated. 2 rolls taking out 2 complete Theban units certainly played a big part in the game.

More
5 years 1 month ago #2842 by Andygor
Replied by Andygor on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
A balanced scenario.

More
4 years 2 months ago #3169 by poppo
Replied by poppo on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
admittedly, there is no way how a proficient Theban player might ever lose this one: why is the scenario this balanced!? Thebans enjoy numbers, quality, territory

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #3282 by Valvorik
Replied by Valvorik on topic 105 Mantinea (362 BC)
Epaminondas laurels are tarnished or did a doppleganger show up. Four games say Spartans win 6-2, 6-5, 6-4, 6-2

Both the middle games felt closer as both sides had weakened units offering banner potential. The Theban player insists fortune was against him of course - twice attacks sputtered and battle backs eliminated the attacker in one game, in another a mounted charge at the outset failed. Mostly it was fun exploration of the game as both sides did a fair bit of maneuvering to create lines, use up marginal cards getting armies shifted as preferred. Despite the lop-sided overall results fun time.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Valvorik.

Moderators: Freeloading-Phill
Time to create page: 2.062 seconds