ancients  battlecry  napoleonics  samuraibattles  thegreatwar    tricorne  redalert  medieval Support Us

OT2019 Quarter-Finals

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 0.00 (0 Votes)

OT2019 Quarter-Finals

Scenario: 216 Sotium (56 BC)

Deadline: 31 August 2019

Player 1 Game 1 banners Game 2 banners TOTAL Player 2 Game 1 banners Game 2 banners TOTAL Semi-Finalist
taliapharaoh 3 6 (23)  9 (46)  Carthage 6 3 (32) 9 (48) taliapharaoh
Polonus100 3 (21) 6 (15) 9 (36) Mark-McG 6 (20) 3 (22) 9 (42) Polonus100
BrentS  4  6  10 gottoman  6  3 9 BrentS
Gonzo  6  10 TTK  6 11  TTK

Please record results in the discussion below in the form;

Game 1

Player 1 (Side): # banners ## blocks lost

Player 2 (Side): # banners ## blocks lost

Short synopsis of game

Attach the game log. This has to be done from the Discussion thread, not directly below (why I don't know)

Game 2

Player 1 (Side): # banners ## blocks lost

Player 2 (Side): # banners ## blocks lost

Short synopsis of game

Contact me with any problems, and please setup your 2 matches early. Leaving it to the deadline invites disaster at the hands of the VASSAL server!

Polonus100 replied the topic: #3125 1 month 3 weeks ago
Logfiles, voila!

File Attachment:

File Name: Qf2019.vlog
File Size:186 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Attachment:

File Name: Qf2019b.vlog
File Size:125 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
taliapharaoh's Avatar
taliapharaoh replied the topic: #3124 1 month 3 weeks ago
Travis (Rome): 6 banners won, 23 blocks lost

Carthage (Gauls): 3 banners won, 32 blocks lost

A more detailed narrative coming soon, but suffice it to say that, with a two block differential between the two games, this match couldn't have gotten any closer.

The final tally was 9 total banners each, with my opponent losing 48 blocks and myself losing 46.

=======

v1.2 After a steady Gallic advance on the Roman right, I was able to respond with a DTS, which produced 3(!) double flags, which eliminated one unit and moved back other units. My opponent quickly recovered, and pressed hard on the Roman left, coming very close to breaking the line and taking out the necessary units for the win. However, a FS and a Clash of Shields were the difference makers, and the Romans were able to just barely take the match win with a dramatic 6-3 result.
TTK replied the topic: #3123 1 month 3 weeks ago
Game 2

TTK (Rome) #6 banners, #22 blocks lost & 1 evade HWM
Gonzo (Gauls) #4 banners, #26 block lost

Rome attacked center and right. Pinned the Gauls to the hills and the edge of the map. The Gauls had a mess with orders, so they risked their cavalry, which hit the center of Rome. The score was 2:2.
Unfortunately for Gonzo, Rome stock order Cavalry Charge & attack = fast +3 banners.
And brought to the end of the party 6:4.
TTK replied the topic: #3122 1 month 3 weeks ago
Game 1

Gonzo (Rome): # 6 banners ## 31 blocks lost & 2 HWM evade-retire

TTK (Gauls): # 5 banners ## 25 blocks lost
Polonus100 replied the topic: #3121 1 month 4 weeks ago
Mark-McG (Gauls) - Polonus100 (Romans) 6-3 (20-21)
Romans played not so offensive and Gauls gained initiative on their Right. Result was 4-2 when Romans played Rally card and regained initiative. One victory flag more on Roman Left and climbing hill - 4-3. But bonus combat from the hill versus Auxilia in the woods brings disaster. Crassus and M infantry destroyed - 6-3.

Polonus100 (Gauls) - Mark-McG (Romans) 6-3 (15-21)
Romans advanced bravely, but Gauls concentrated their best units and attacked in the center destroying A and War Machines 2-0. Romans organized counterattack immediately in the center and on their Left, but were not so successful (2-1). Gauls tried to gain more profits from initial success and destryed another M unit and its leader (4-1), but with losses. Romans from the left smashed 2 disorganized W units with Leaders but they evaded (4-3) Last attack of Gauls MC and last W unit in the center destroyed isolated M unit and Roman MC cavalry. 6-3. Romans in the first game removed more blocks than in second game using better their range weapon (HWM e.g.) thus giving me victory. Dense and interesting game. Thanks Mark!
Attachments with logs - on the way to forum.
taliapharaoh's Avatar
taliapharaoh replied the topic: #3120 1 month 4 weeks ago
Game 1:

taliapharaoh (Gauls): 3 banners, 23 blocks lost
Carthage (Romans): 6 banners, 16 blocks lost

All the action was on the Roman right, as my opponent played his cards perfectly to keep me off-balance and scrambling all game. I won't deprive him of a well-deserved AAR on a resounding victory, so I will let him post later this week. Game 2 coming next Tuesday!
BrentS replied the topic: #3119 2 months 1 week ago
Ignore this. Tried to delete a post but only editing possible.
BrentS replied the topic: #3118 2 months 1 week ago
Quarter Final - Sotium

Match 1: gottoman (Rome) 6 - BrentS (Gauls) 4
Match 2: BrentS (Rome) 6 - gottoman (Gauls) 3

File Attachment:

File Name: OT19QF2Bre...-13.vlog
File Size:172 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Attachment:

File Name: OT19QF1Bre...-13.vlog
File Size:189 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

Game 1

First play MFM to get Auxilia into the hills. With few available hand options, I broke my own rule and played Mounted Charge second card. We had some log glitch here, probably due to my use of the backtracking button to reposition units (immediate reckless play regret :). Greg had to resynchronise and on review of the log the units are out of position for the rest of the log, so it might not quite make sense. I did take out the enemy Medium Cav we’d targeted but left myself horribly exposed. A flurry of very accurate ranged attacks by the Romans killed a full strength Auxilia and depleted my Cav so badly I had to pull them out of the action and shield them. I like to be in control when defending hills but I was on the back foot from thereon out as Greg skilfully and patiently forced me off the slopes with more devastatingly accurate ranged fire. My left was a lost cause and I grouped for a last stand there. Rome then pushed forward to take the hills on my right. The key moment of disaster came when my Spartacus ordered a single Auxilia (more Sporticus than Sapractacus!) and I broke another of my rules and momentum advanced off the hills. My follow up was a single order with an Order Heavy (you know a Gallic army is in trouble when that’s your best choice play) and my leader was deservingly killed on battle back. It was not about winning now but taking a respectable banner count into the second game. I was able to play a Leadership card that scored me 2 lucky banners before Greg finished me off. I was kicking myself for careless play……to take nothing away from Greg, though, who played very strongly and ruthlessly capitalised on my errors.

Game 2

Greg was in a pub and I suggested he have another pint or two but he didn’t fall for that :). I started with Clash in hand and it’s so frequently useless but I held it just in case…..and it turned out to be the game decider. Greg used Order Lights to get his Auxilia into the hills and strongly set up early. Leery of his ranged attack prowess I advanced with lights into the forest and adjacent to block his firing. It didn’t help because more Gallic light ordering took my medium infantry on the right down to 2 blocks with one attack, setting up for his following Mounted Charge which killed it dead. A cheeky light cav did attack my full strength medium infantry and died on battle back (maybe Greg had snuck in another pint…….joking, I could see you were hoping to kill it with the other Medium Cav). What it did do was leave him adjacent to my Medium Cav and with my infantry line assaulting the hills on the left I was set up for a rare Clash of Shields. It was decisive….3 Gallic units killed and I took the left flank hills. Looking at banner parity over the two legs Greg played Order Medium to push his 1 block Medium Cav deep behind my lines and hope to take out 2 depleted units there but a lucky banner put my 1 block Medium Infantry into the hills where it survived the bonus close combat. I didn’t battle back because I could see a leader escape opportunity to take the match, which I set up with a Counter of the Order Medium, but Greg foiled it with a First Strike…..disappointing because I love a good leader escape, my favourite play :(. There was enough left in the order though to take the last 2 banners as my Medium Cav took out a demoralised Warrior on my right flank and my infantry killed another on my left.

One banner in it. Really enjoyable playing Greg as always. Strongly played and thanks for a couple of great games.

This site uses cookies to improve your experience.