ancients  battlecry  napoleonics  samuraibattles  thegreatwar   tricorne  medieval Support Us

OT 2018 Round 5

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 5.00 (1 Vote)

OT 2018 Round 5

Scenario: 314 Dyrrhachium (48 BC)

Read the scenario Special rule as;
• A Pompeian unit that exits off the Roman Caesarian left section of the battlefield counts as one Victory Banner. The unit is removed from play, and may not re-enter.

Player 1   Game 1   Game 2   POINTS   Player 2   Game 1   Game 2   POINTS

Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2666 3 months 3 weeks ago
11 Caesarian wins vs 9 Pompeiian wins
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2665 3 months 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I won't pretend to understand the workings of the website.. just the work around. Why you can't add attachments responding to the Topic in the first instance, and yet add them later in the Forum is some technicality that eludes me, but in the great scheme of things, a minor nuisance.

The Top 8 have been known for a few days, but I understand the ranked order makes a difference to the semi-final draw. So all the necessary results are in now, and the semi-finals will be announced shortly (once Brent gets away from work).

Has anyone kept a record of Caesarian vs Pompeiian wins? I'll do a back track later on, but if it is already done, all the better.
Tomek's Avatar
Tomek replied the topic: #2664 3 months 3 weeks ago
Game 1
Giulio (Pompey) - 6
Tomek (Caesar) - 4
Cesar didn't stand a chance. Both his commanders were dead before he managed to get into the fight.

Game 2
Tomek (Pompey) - 6
Giulio (Caesar) - 3
Another defeat for the Cesarean force. This time Caesar fell himself in a brutal fight on the ramparts.

File Name: Caesar1.vlog
File Size:32 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Name: Caesar2.vlog
File Size:39 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
LeonardoAngelo's Avatar
LeonardoAngelo replied the topic: #2663 3 months 3 weeks ago
Hi Mark, if I counted correctly, the results of the matches of the remaining three pairs on the results of the playoffs will not affect. g1ul10 and Tomek play in the playoffs whatever the result, the other players are, even if you score 3 victory points. It may be worth it to build a table?
scipio1zama replied the topic: #2662 3 months 3 weeks ago
OK, I think I have attached them. Very odd system. I am working from the page reached via the url listed in your July 5 e-mail to us all. I did as you said - clicked on the post number on this page, which took me to a completely different page listing all the postings to this round 5 topic - finally found my message #2657 - it was there that I found the action button and followed the rest of your instructions, with apparent success. Why can't I do the attaching from the page where I initially post my message, the one your URL www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/artic...ot-2018-round-5.html sends me to.

Anyway, please let me know the logfile attachments got through to you. Thanks again for running this - and putting up with my questions.
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2661 3 months 3 weeks ago

scipio1zama wrote: I can't find an edit button anywhere - please advise

Click on the Post number (e.g. #2659)

Then click on drop down arrow next to Action Button

Attachments Button is under the text box
scipio1zama replied the topic: #2660 3 months 3 weeks ago
If I go to my profile page there is an edit button up on the top right - very obvious. But on THIS page, with all the OT2018 submissions, there is no edit button, either at the top of the page nor within the box containing the write-up I submitted. How do I access "edit" from here. I'm wanting to do it - I'm wishing to do it - I'm willing to do it....
scipio1zama replied the topic: #2659 3 months 3 weeks ago
I can't find an edit button anywhere - please advise
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2658 3 months 3 weeks ago
if you go back and edit the post, you should be able to add attachments
scipio1zama replied the topic: #2657 3 months 3 weeks ago
Sorry, forgot correct format for basic reporting of results:

Game 1
scipio1zama - Pompeian 5 banners
Gonzo - Caesarian 6 banners

Game 2
scipio1zama - Caesarian 6 banners
gonzo-Pompeian 5 banners

I have the log files, but how do I attach them?
scipio1zama replied the topic: #2656 3 months 3 weeks ago
Having played this scenario beforehand, two things became obvious:
As Pompey, get an attack going ASAP on the right flank where the ramparts are weak.
As Caesar, get him and the rear rank guys up into the fight ASAP, preferably on the left flank to bolster the incomplete ramparts and to prevent Pompey from exiting units.
This “idée fixe” almost cost me game 2.

So Gonzo and I had two very exciting and tense games. He won the first one as Caesar, 6-5, and it quite literally came down to the final die rolls. As Pompey, I moved up all my MI on the right flank with a Medium Troops card, then used a Double Time to move through the spaces between the ramparts and attack his two HI, killing one and reducing the other to one block. Then I started moving the two light units on that flank toward the Caesar side of the board to exit them for victory banners.

Meanwhile, Gonzo assembled his rear rank forces with Caesar and Anthony and charged toward Titus and my MI. A melee ensued, and he took out three of my MI and Titus, at a cost of an HI and an MI. His force was very well organized, and he got the maximum use out of Caesar. Also, although I did manage to exit my LB off the map for a banner, his force was well positioned to cut off the opportunity for my Auxilia to do the same
The score stood 4-4, but his position was far superior to mine, and I had to make a desperation attack. I managed to take out his (now 2-block) HI in the center, but I battled – in melee – against Caesar and his 1-block HI with my LB. I blew the roll, and his battle back vaporized my LB – 4 hits! Then he killed off one of my 1-block MI for the final banner and the win.

I won the second game as the Caesarians by the selfsame score of 6-5, but Pompey had a surprise in store for me. He started with a Line Command, moved everybody up and took a whole lot of pot shots at my units, but this resulted in just one hit. Then, as I used a combination of Inspired right leadership, center cards, and a Line Command to get my back-row units over to my left and center and get into the fight, he brought his two MI and one HI from his left flank (plus Pompey) forward to attack my light units in the ramparts. Using consecutive Out Flanked cards, Pompey/Gonzo kept attacking my lights in the ramparts while at the same time preparing his forces on his right to receive my attack. I was so focused on Caesar and trying to get my force into position to battle Titus and his MI that I neglected my right, and Pompey blew through my light units in the ramparts.
The speed with which the MI and HI can move in this game when the Julian Legions rule is in effect can be surprising, and I waited too long to react. He took out my MC with a couple of retreat flags, and severely damaged a LB, LS and LI. Fortunately, I was finally in a position to attack Titus, and in the melee I eliminated three of his MI and his MC, at the cost of one each of my HI and MI. The score stood 4-3, and he opted to go for the best possible banner count by again attacking my light units on my right, using Pompey and an MI to take out both an LI and LB that were on the rearmost rank. My final attack with my HI killed another MI - and his Auxilia for the sixth banner. Fortunately for me, his card quality and his dice rolling had deteriorated toward the end, at one point taking 6 swings at Antony and a 2-block HI and missing all 6.
Fun games against a very skillful opponent.
LeonardoAngelo's Avatar
LeonardoAngelo replied the topic: #2655 3 months 4 weeks ago
Game 1
LeonardoAngelo (Caesarean) 6
ympytyar (Pompeian) 5
The battle was very persistent, the First three moves were for Pompey. Two cards "Line" and then "Eclipse the sky". Cesareans lost 4-5, but thrilling in the end pulled out a victory. Thank you opponent for battle!

Game 2
LeonardoAngelo (Pompeian) 6
ympytyar (Caesarean) 5

The second battle was just as fierce. But I managed to snatch the victory at the end of the match.
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2654 3 months 4 weeks ago
deadline approaches! Get the unplayed matches done by this weekend!!
mk20336's Avatar
mk20336 replied the topic: #2644 4 months 1 week ago
Round 5 Dyrrachium

Game 1
MichalK (Pompeian) 6
Tony (Caesarean) 3

File Name: OT2018_R5_G1.vlog
File Size:26 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

Very quick game - thanks to good cards I managed to advance Pompeyan right, add the center and in bloody battle cut through Cesarean units up to the border. Some incredible rolls on Tony side in this game.

Game 2
MichalK (Caesarean) 6
Tony (Pompeian) 3

Tony copied exactly my tactics - which was made easier by two counter-attack cards :) When my line was about to break the desperate DT card turned the tides of battle - three MI and leader perished.

Two logs for this as I was disconnected during the game:

File Name: OT2018_R5_G2.vlog
File Size:11 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Name: OT2018_R5_G2a.vlog
File Size:25 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

And thanks to Tony for flexibility in arranging the game!
gottoman's Avatar
gottoman replied the topic: #2640 4 months 1 week ago
Game 1
Togan Alper (Caesar) 4
Greg O (Pompei) 6

Game 2
Greg O - Caesar (Mad Doc) 6
Togan Alper - Pompei 3

Sorry for the delay in reporting, have been on vacation, and can't recall all the gory details of the fight, so will leave it to the replay for those who may be interested.
EZPickins replied the topic: #2639 4 months 1 week ago
Game 1
EZPickins (Caesar) 6
Mad Doc (Pompei) 5

Game 2
Caesar (Mad Doc) 6
Pompei (EZPickins) 5

Two brutal games with Caesar being the deciding factor. As the Pompeians I chose to exit two units while Mad Doc elected to fight it out. Really a fun scenario against a first class opponent.

File Name: EZ-Slava1_...-31.vlog
File Size:46 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Name: EZ-Slava2.vlog
File Size:13 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Name: EZ-Slava2_...-31.vlog
File Size:13 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
BrentS replied the topic: #2638 4 months 2 weeks ago
Round 5 Dyrrachium

Game 1
BrentS (Pompeian) 6
Carthage (Caesarean) 1

Quick and nasty....over in 4 turns. I had all the cards I needed. The Pompeiian blue cohorts raced straight up to the barricades, then Double Timed to surround and kill the isolated Caesarean Heavies. Some of the Caesarean centre units were able to get across to kill one unit but were killed themselves on the counter. I had all the cards I needed to force that flank (Order Medium, Double Time, Leadership, Line Command) and the dice to go with it. All luck. Caesar was a spectator....never moved.

Game 2
BrentS (Caesarean) 6
Carthage (Pompeian) 1

5 turns this time. The Pompeians pulled the same nasty massed blue advance on their right flank but I was able to respond with an Order Heavies to pull both isolated reds back, Caesar into the centre and Marcellinus across to support my left. The Pompeians attempted to use a MFM to get their Light Bow into a position to escape off the map edge but one of the Caesarean Heavies forced them back. I was able to get Antony and some units across from the centre into a block with Marcellinus and killed 4 Pompeian units on one Double Time play. The Pompeian War Machine killed Marcellinus' unit but he escaped onto a Medium and on the next card play scored the last 2 banners for the victory. Again, I had all the cards I needed and the dice were even kinder to me and crueller on Caspar. I knew he was in trouble when his last card play was a centre order, far away from the action.

With the ramparts and the hills this looks like a game of slow attrition but it's actually quick and brutal due to the mobility of the Julian legions. The action is always going to be on the Caesarean left flank. I wonder how often Caesar actually gets into play. He was ordered only once across our two games.....I tried to get him into the fight but the action on the other flank just developed so quickly that there wasn't time.
These games demonstrated how much Ancients is a game of margins. They looked like blowouts but were close....when it's all close combat the difference between a single block Heavy infantry surviving to battle back or being eliminated is huge for tempo and the cards and dice were all with me. Thanks to Caspar for some enjoyable, if quick, games.
stormwalker's Avatar
stormwalker replied the topic: #2637 4 months 2 weeks ago
Round 5 Cavie vs stormwalker

Match 1
Cavie (Caesarian): 3 banners
stormwalker (Pompeian): 6 banners

Pompeian army tried attacking on their left flank but their march was quickly halted by the unstoppable Caesar. Encouraged by Caesar's successes Antony pushed on their left wing. Unfortunately, in the decisive moment of the battle Antony failed to kill a single-block Medium unit by rolling 4 red squares. In the next turn the very same Medium unit dispatched Antony together with his forces.

File Name: OT2018_Dyr..._G1.vlog
File Size:41 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

Match 2
Cavie (Pompeian): 3 banners
stormwalker (Caesarian): 6 banners

Pompeian army had an amazing opening: by playing two Order Medium Troops cards and then two Double Time cards they have pushed the Caesarian forces stationed on the left wing to the edge of the board. And then Antony arrived: he single-handedly killed 3 Medium units together with their leader Titus Pulieo. The battle was decided with Caesar's attack on one of Pompey's Heavy Infantry units.

Many thanks to Dan for playing!

File Name: OT2018Cavi...me2.vlog
File Size:30 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2635 4 months 4 weeks ago
Game 1
Polonus100 (Pompeiian): 3
Mark McG (Caesarian): 6

A rather desperate struggle on the Caesarian right, where the dice turned just in time to deny the exit of Titus and his legion. Caesar came up, saw his chance and called in the cavalry to capture the last two banners

File Name: OT2018R5G1.vlog
File Size:37 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

Game 2
Mark McG (Pompeiians): 6
Polonus100 (Caesarian): 4

Pompey started will with a Line Command, but struggled from there. 2 Mounted Charge and an Order Mounted created a give of immobility, only mildly mitigated by the exit of the cavalry. Pompey strategy rested around good battlebacks.
Score rested at 4 all when Titus managed to stir himself, survived a First Strike, finished off a Med Inf and killed Antony for the win.
Luck in the dice made up for dud cards.

File Name: OT2018R5G2.vlog
File Size:30 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
Stanislav27's Avatar
Stanislav27 replied the topic: #2625 5 months 3 days ago
Game 1:
Pompeian (CrimsonCobraX): 1
Caesarian (Stanislav27): 6

The first match was fought mainly on the Caesarian right (very much dictated by both players' hands). Caesar's troops held off Pompey's aggressive attack near the rampart while Caesar slowly maneuvered his central backline to the left and his right contingent forward. Pompey stuck to missile fire and isolated attacks - including a courageous charge by his cavalry. However, the Goddess of the Dice was not forthcoming and many of these attacks suffered at the hands of superior battle back dice from the Caesarian forces. Meanwhile, Marcellinus and Antony linked up their forces and held their ground against the main Pompeian concentration on the opposite flank. After beating back the advance on his right side, Caesar personally led his right wing forward, over the rampart and struck at the weakened Pompeian units that had withdrawn. Victory for Caesar.

Game 2:
Pompeian (Stanislav27): 6
Caesarian (CrimsonCobraX): 3

The second battle was fought predominantly in the center and the Caesarian left. The Pompeian general was blessed with a useful Line Command card early in the bout and used it to push forward across the line. Caesar's troops fought valiantly and through clever maneuvering and target selection, the Caesarian general killed off some Pompeian light troops as well as the carelessly placed cavalry. Nevertheless, Pompey managed to withdraw some of his weakened units on his left and kept pushing on his right, where a rain of pila paved the way for a general advance, where Titus Puileo's leadership bonus proved decisive. The Caesarian left wing was overwhelmed and crushed. Before Caesar could rally Antony's and Marcellinus' troops and close the gap on his left, Titus Puileo led his cohorts off the field...presumably to prepare the encirclement of Caesar's forces. Pompey won the day.

---

Thanks to CrimsonCobraX for two entertaining duels. Especially the second battle was much closer than the scoreline suggests, and I think I had the better cards as Pompey, which allowed me to mobilize more of his key troops at the right moments. Unfortunately, none of us saved a logfile of the games. Sorry for this - usually it's the first thing I do.
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2622 5 months 1 week ago

g1ul10 wrote: I understand that the exit should be from the bottom of the map (picture perspective), right?

Bottom Left section
www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/image...ies/CCA_maps/314.jpg
Mark-McG's Avatar
Mark-McG replied the topic: #2621 5 months 1 week ago

LeonardoAngelo wrote: The Nemo3 - PScipio42 pair is not In the table. Check please

good catch, overlooked a line, thanks for picking that up
g1ul10's Avatar
g1ul10 replied the topic: #2620 5 months 1 week ago
LeonardoAngelo's Avatar
LeonardoAngelo replied the topic: #2619 5 months 1 week ago
The Nemo3 - PScipio42 pair is not In the table. Check please

This site uses cookies to improve your experience.